Someone help my calves

Jamesrichio
Jamesrichio Posts: 17
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Recently I've moved from the flat of east yorks to the hills of rutland. I have noticed that my left calf is getting incredibly tight and sore an sometimes even feeling like its cramping on rides. Why is this? Could I have my saddle too high? I feel it's in the correct position for every other part of my leg but maybe I am pulling with my calves a bit too much. Sorry if its a mundane question but hopefully someone will have an answer.

Comments

• I believe saddle position alone will not help your ache/injury.
    Maybe look at some instructional youtube videos about foot positioning/ higher cadence work outs.
    What I've been taught as a professional athlete is to maintain a slight toe-down foot position during your entire stroke. This helps to distribute the strain on muscles and joints throughout your pedal stroke, especially during climbs. It may help to spin a little higher gear than your used to (as could become the current hype after the current power display of Chris Froome). Lat but not least a tiny little (couple of mm) lower saddle position could help achieve a higher cadence and could potentially eliminate a 'core' instability.

Bottom line: try out what works for you. These tips have helped me to increase my souplesse but completely different may work for you.

good luck!
  • Thanks for the reply. I always try to keep a high cadence but will try your toe down technique to help. It's only one side which is strange too so may could be a weakness like you say
  • Callum_62
    Callum_62 Posts: 28
    Moving your cleats back as far as they will go is a classic triathlete technique to reduce strain on calves. Might be worth giving it a go?
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Pick up a foam roller too, I've found it helps to get rid of any tension in my calves
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Also how far into a ride is this happening? if early then positioning/technique is probable. If later on in a ride, make sure you are eating/drinking enough while out.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    cattytown wrote:
    Also how far into a ride is this happening? if early then positioning/technique is probable. If later on in a ride, make sure you are eating/drinking enough while out.

Paul.

This - there's not enough information for anyone to give a reasonable diagnosis. My first thought was nutrition - sounds like a lack of electrolytes inducing cramp but it could be anything really.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I know I occasionally get what feels like cramp in my left calf, but gel & Drink (I use electrolyte drinks) normally has me rolling again as if there had been nothing wrong.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Callum_62 wrote:
    Moving your cleats back as far as they will go is a classic triathlete technique to reduce strain on calves. Might be worth giving it a go?

This is what I would try first, but move the cleats back only 5mm at a time. You shouldn't be working your calf muscles much during your pedal stroke, so really shouldn't be suffering cramping from them first.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I have been told that cramp in the calf is a "classic" sign of dehydration - not sure how true this is but thought I'd share
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Thanks for the reply. I went out on Thursday dropped my saddle slightly and also made sure that'd drank a lot due to the heat and to my excessive sweat loss. I will just have to see how it goes over the next few rides and then look at altering my position more.