9 speed chainset ok with 8 speed set up?

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited July 2013 in Workshop
Hi I. I currently have the original triple chainset on my 8 speed bike. Wanting to upgrade the chainset and BB but most of the chainsets are 9 speed. I have no intention of changing the 8 speed shifters or cassette but would a 9 speed triple (lets say new Sora) chainset work fine on this set up? I run a SRAM 8 speed chain currently to match the cassette.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Triban 3

Comments

• You'll be fine, the chainrings will be slightly thinner to accommodate the 9 speed chain, but you won't have any problems. I've done this several times. Going the other way may not work though (9 speed chain on an 8 speed chainring) Stick with the 8 speed chain which will match your cassette.
  • I’ve recently been trying to do the same thing to my 8-speed bike, and I opted for a Stronglight Impact chainset (since it’s square-taper and lighter than Shimano stuff in this price range). The specs say 9/10-speed, but there's a note saying that means it’s also 8-speed compatible.

Sheldon Brown and all the other big hitters I could find also say it should work well.

Aw shucks, thanks. Not been called that before. :wink: