Dirt/jump bike sizing

oddnumber
oddnumber Posts: 42
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I have a question regarding jump bike sizing.

I've recently moved closer to work, and only have a 3 mile commute. I was looking to buy a dirt/jump bike (I like the styling and aesthetic), and came across the Diamondback Beta which looks good enough to me. The frame size is only 14" though, and I'm 5'9 - would it be too small a bike and make me look like a gorilla riding a tricycle? Would such a bike cope with such a small commute daily?

Apologies for the daft question. I've had little to do with MTBs so sizing is pretty much a dark art! Thanks for any pointers.

:)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all dirt bikes are about 14" they are not really suitable for comuting. as you will be sat way too low.

if you want a dirt jump bike buy one. if you want to commute get a dirt cheap rat bike that costs less than a cheap lock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oddnumber
    Thanks for the quick reply Nick, much appreciated.

Can the seat not be lifted a touch to make it slightly more accomodating to a commute?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I have a 15" haro jump bike for sale if you're interested?

the saddle can be raised quite far, but not enough really for long rides. I've ridden it to mates houses and stuff (about a 3 mile round trip) but when I pedal I have to stand up really and cruise sitting down.

give me a shout if you're interested :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    oddnumber wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply Nick, much appreciated.

Can the seat not be lifted a touch to make it slightly more accomodating to a commute?
    it depends on how long you need the seat post to be. which will also act as a great big lever ......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oddnumber
    Thanks guys :D

Welshkev - do you have any more info/pics/price?

Ta :)
  • oddnumber
    Kev - can't pm you for some reason. I'll email you.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    oddnumber wrote:
    Kev - can't pm you for some reason. I'll email you.

replied