Truvativ Powerspline to External BB question

PedroX64
PedroX64 Posts: 17
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My GT Aggressor XC1 09 eats bottom brackets for breakfast and searching the web, it appears that this is because it is made of cheese. I ride a lot around the Leith Hill area and mess around on a jump track and the "Cross-Country only" BB cannot handle the riding I do so I am looking to replace Truvativ Powerspline 68mm x 118mm BB to an external BB which should be stronger.

My understanding is that this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20679 will fit, but I may need to get the frame faced off (i.e. the threads are the same). I just want to check before shelling out my hard earned money!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes fine and get the Shell faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you’ll might find that external BBs get trashed quicker than cartridge BBs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd normally agree, but Powerspline are not the most robust of parts, Square taper, Octalink and ISIS all seem to last longer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fair enough, square taper seem to last centuries.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools