RideLondon100-planning escape route

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
Has anyone seen any info anywhere on where/if there will be pedestrian bridges back over route? I need to get back to Wandsworth (south of Thames).

Plan A is to get a train from Victoria, but have a hunch other cyclists may have same idea and Southern are saying they won't let too many cyclists on trains.

Plan B is to walk back over thames, then cycle, but that obviously requires getting back over the route somehow.

Plan C is to try and cycle to Hammersmith, go under the fly-over and then back to Wandsworth, but that's pretty desperate measures, given I'll have ridden 13 miles before I even start the 100 mile route.

How are other people planning to escape the area? I don't imagine Addison Lee cabbies will be queuing up to take cyclists home in their Galaxies! ;)

Comments

• Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    You know that you will be able to cross the route at various defined points? There will be marshalls stopping cyclsits and allowing pedestrians across (unless you're talking about trying to cross the road at exactly the time the peloton is flying past.

Get your bike couriered home and take a train.
  • andyeb
    You know that you will be able to cross the route at various defined points? There will be marshalls stopping cyclsits and allowing pedestrians across (unless you're talking about trying to cross the road at exactly the time the peloton is flying past.

Get your bike couriered home and take a train.

For the Olympic road race last summer, they had temporary scaffolding pedestrian bridges erected over the route - they would be needed for safe crowd management around the route in central London. I'm not intending to try and actually get across the route itself on foot.

There is absolutely no way I would consider trusting my bike to a courier company. Especially not one tasked with transporting thousands of other bikes around the area. Plus the courier booking service has now closed and I've not booked.
  • andyeb
    Here's response I got from RideLondon via DM on Twitter: "Crossing points will be signposted & marshals on hand to help"
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I too plan to take my bike home on the train form Victoria. I emailed SouthEastern trains and their response was that they only restrict bikes Monday to Friday at peak times. I'll check again with the train company when I travel to the Excel on Thursday to get my rider pack.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Its already been mentioned in a number of posts and in the rider magazine, there will also be river boat services which will take riders across the river and will be free to participants.