Upgrading Headset

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

Had a brief fiddle with my bike over the weekend removing and cleaning the bottom bracket blah blah, and I noticed my headset needs servicing again (only did it about 6 months ago and I've barely had the time to use it this summer, so I'm now thinking about upgrading to a headset with cartridge type bearings in rather than the caged BBs like mine has.

Thing is I know nothing about Headsets so was wondering what I need to look at to see which types are compatible with my bike and basically, which headset is a good place to start?

Are the Superstar components ones any cop? I'd prefer not to spend a fortune on it, but willing to part with a little cash to have something half decent.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what standard it is.
    1 and 1/8 try FSA Orbit XLII - £17.50 on Ebay - superb headset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How did you notice it needs servicing?

If it runs smoothish and does not click then is there really a problem?

On one of my bikes I have a headset similar to yours and it is well over 5 years old.

Cartidge bearing are not the holy grail - if they go you need to replace the whole unit, caged balls can just be cleaned and packed with good quality grease and will often just keep working.
  • It ain't smooth, that's how I noticed! :lol:

To be fair, I'm giving both my roadie and MTB a good going over coz I've just moved house in the last couple of months and my old garage at my old house was a damp little nook and I lived close to the sea so I've gone through a shed load of chains even though I clean and lube them as often as possible but a lot of things, including many of the bolts have just turned to rust and I suspect that has been part of the reason I've had to service the headset so often.

Basically, now that they live in a nice, well sealed and dry garage, I'm replacing all the rusted bolts and bits and going through them component by component, and since the headset on my MTB has never been changed, it is also probably around 5 years old.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    What MTB frame is it?
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends what standard it is.
    1 and 1/8 try FSA Orbit XLII - £17.50 on Ebay - superb headset.

Definitely. Had an Orbit on another bike and thought it was excellent.

Hope have a good guide on how to find the right headset.
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/ ... 011Web.pdf

There's 1" 1/8' but that's only the steerer. The inner diameter of head tubes aren't necessarily the same.
  • White and Blue Cube Acid, although I can't remember which year and can't find anything about it online.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Cartidge bearing are not the holy grail - if they go you need to replace the whole unit
    No you don't, you just replace the (cartridge) bearing.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes the whole bearing unit - the cartridge, effectively the cup and cones is what I mean by whole, not the whole of the top or bottom assembly.
  • cooldad
    Cup and cones? Wrong end I think.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Yes the whole bearing unit - the cartridge, effectively the cup and cones is what I mean by whole, not the whole of the top or bottom assembly.
    Er... what?
    I think you need to lay off the glue.
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope, perhaps not the correct terminology hence why I said effectively, the inner race acts very much like a cone, and the outer race like a cup.
  • cooldad
    Nope, perhaps not the correct terminology hence why I said effectively, the inner race acts very much like a cone, and the outer race like a cup.
    Er... what?
    I think you need to lay off the glue.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ok so I got a response from Cube this morning after e-mailing them yesterday afternoon to ask for their advice on what is compatible with my bike.

They said I can use a "Standard Semi-Integrated Headset".

Does that mean anything to anyone else because I'm none the wiser?
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • :lol: :oops:

Thanks Cooldad!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Cane Creeks website has a handy "what headset do I need" wizard type section might help you a bit more understand what you need.

In my experience a £40 (rrp) headset from FSA or Cane Creek are about as good as you get. Also these are usually available for much less than rrp making them even better value. No need to get sucked into buying a Hope headset.