Setup - or just my bike?

jamesmcdowell
jamesmcdowell Posts: 12
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I have recently started cycling for more than just popping to the shops, and purchased a Gary Fisher Marlin Disk. Which I like a lot.

The other day whilst our on a ride with my brother we decided to switch bikes, he has a specialized rock hopper.

When we switched bikes we both noticed the same difference in pro's and cons of both bikes. Mine on the flat and smooth was much quicker and more efficient, whereas on the bumpier stuff (single tracks - nothing too technical) the only way to describe it is a bit nervous.

My brothers bike was the opposite, really happy on bumpy cross country single tracks, but on the road was a bit sluggish.

We looked at the bikes closely in terms of dimensions, etc, both look and seem very similar, his is a little lighter, but not much and he has slightly better front susp forks. The only difference in dimensions and shape is that his has slightly wider handle bars.

My question is: is this the setup of the bike, or the bike itself? - i'd like to set my bike up to be better for cross country riding.

Cheers guys.
James

Comments

• just the bike.
  • Thanks, what could i look at adjusting / upgrading to make the bike a little more stable?
  • like anything, upgrading would make all the difference but there could be adjustments to make it more stable
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better forks can make a big difference - the XCT on the Marlin is a bit of a stinker, simpler still, did you compare tyre pressures? Also better tyres make a huge difference, Cheap (heavy and often with a very stiff carcass) ones add a real 'lumpen' feel to off road riding, especailly with a poor fork that can't control the mass.

The Marlin is a 29er, was his a 29er or a 26er? 29er tyres are inevitably heavier (as are tubes and rims) that the smaller 26er components, a 29er rolls faster.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Better forks can make a big difference - the XCT on the Marlin is a bit of a stinker, simpler still, did you compare tyre pressures? Also better tyres make a huge difference, Cheap (heavy and often with a very stiff carcass) ones add a real 'lumpen' feel to off road riding, especailly with a poor fork that can't control the mass.

The Marlin is a 29er, was his a 29er or a 26er? 29er tyres are inevitably heavier (as are tubes and rims) that the smaller 26er components, a 29er rolls faster.

Great thanks for the info, i've upgraded my tyres recently as the stock ones were pants, but the tyre pressure is something i will look into.

Both bikes are 26ers I iwll look into the forks and see what options I come up with..

Thanks for the help.
  • The Rookie
    How old is the Marlin?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • its a 2011 i think.
  • When's the last time you have a service on your bike?
  • At the start of the summer, so only a couple of months ago.
  • The Rookie
    its a 2011 i think.
    As far as I can make out, 2011 are all 29er, 2010 is 26er though.
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gary-fisher/marlin-2010
    At least that has the Dart3 fork, which while not great, is a lot better than the XCT on the 2011's!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    its a 2011 i think.
    As far as I can make out, 2011 are all 29er, 2010 is 26er though.
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gary-fisher/marlin-2010
    At least that has the Dart3 fork, which while not great, is a lot better than the XCT on the 2011's!

Just checked, it has the Dart 3 and is definately a 26 inch rim. (good to hear i got the better fork).

So conclusion is it must be a 2010 that was in the shop a little while! - from what the guy said in the shop it was one of the last models before the spec was downgraded by trek.
  • The Rookie
    Not so much downgraded as fundamentally changed (26 to 29) although yes, any components were downgraded.