Newbie from West Midlands!

Luke87
Luke87 Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

My name is Luke, just getting into this mountain bike lark! After many "mountain bikes" over the years I've saved up some money and recently bought a GT Aggressor (second hand) and am now looking forward to swapping up my car for the bike haha!! The bike I've bought comes from a guy who has had it for a few years and spent a lot of money on it so has a pretty good spec for the price I paid. Just need to find some trails now and ill be good to go!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome to the madhouse...

Few West Mids riders around on here, I'm not far away, Cannnock is nice and close for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Luke87
    So got a picture of the new bike this evening the spec is:

http://m1298.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/luke877/image_zps8527cbf7.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

Marzocchi MX Comp air forks
    Avid Elixr brakes
    Shimano Deore groupset
    Fsa bars
    superstar 50 mm stem
    DMR V8 Pedals
    on one bignose saddle.
    superstar wheelset with switch evo hubs
    Schwalbe smart sam (off the bike)
    Schwalbe City Jet hybrid tyre (on the bike)

Cheers for looking!
  • The Rookie
    Rather pointless photo!

Otherwise looks like a reasonable starter bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Luke87
    Probably is! I can't figure out how to put pictures into this forum from my phone!! Yer it rides nicer than any other "mountain bike" I've had so looking forward to getting mucky!
  • The Rookie
    In normal photobucket you can get a link to paste in that inserts a pic (see links in my sig for some examples), you've pasted the mobile site page or I'd have done it for you...
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Bike seems good for general trail use.

I am based about 5 miles from Dudley town centre, my works office is just off Cinderbank. I normally ride Cannock most weekends, however an hour each way cuts down on riding time and the M6 is a right pig just lately. I have just started riding Wyre Forrest which isnt to far from you. Only one dedicated trail which is graded as a blue trail but is just a few fire roads up and down for 4.5 miles, quite boring tbh. Having started to explore the Wyre Forrest reveals fantastic natural trails, plenty of single track and some technical stuff thrown in, nothing your bike wouldn't handle. Plenty of locals there that will sort you out with routes and show you round.

Other than that just get out and explore. I have found brilliant rides all over, kinver, lawnswood, etc etc
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Luke87
    Yer mate! Just been up to stourbridge and come back via the back of wordsley and towpaths etc about 10 miles all in all! First proper ride in about 4 years. Need to build my stamina etc up so need to get cracking at general fitness methinks!!

Cheers
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Is there any decent riding around kinver? My brother lives there and I keep meaning to take my bike
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • brucie45
    Woodmonkey, moslty DH stuff, but there is a few natural trails around kinver edge. Just explore it, Kinver is not a big place.

Luke87, the towpaths at Wordsley are ten yards from my front door. Once your feel happy with your fitness etc you should go to Cannock or Wyre Forrest, cracking days riding.
  • It may be out of your reach but Sandwell valley / West Bromwich have a new purpose built MTB track in Jubilee woods, well they have 3 actually. I went to the official opening but managed to ride 2 of them the week before with my BOB trailer fully loaded (backpacks, toolkit, sandwiches, water) while it was quiet, if you dont like the tracks theres always the rest of the park to take your agression out on. Plenty of small offbeat side tracks .. good in the summer months, but they're certainly interesting during the winter when the green stuff dies back and you have uncluttered access to virgin snow, soft ground, and mud holes.

It's always a good ride when you bring most of the tracks back with you.
  • Luke87 wrote:
    So got a picture of the new bike this evening the spec is:

http://m1298.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... 0&newest=1

Marzocchi MX Comp air forks
    Avid Elixr brakes
    Shimano Deore groupset
    Fsa bars
    superstar 50 mm stem
    DMR V8 Pedals
    on one bignose saddle.
    superstar wheelset with switch evo hubs
    Schwalbe smart sam (off the bike)
    Schwalbe City Jet hybrid tyre (on the bike)

Cheers for looking!

Welcome!

Would've gone for some Shimano brakes honestly - otherwise, it looks like a quite decent bike for a starter.
  • brucie45
    It may be out of your reach but Sandwell valley / West Bromwich have a new purpose built MTB track in Jubilee woods, well they have 3 actually. I went to the official opening but managed to ride 2 of them the week before with my BOB trailer fully loaded (backpacks, toolkit, sandwiches, water) while it was quiet, if you dont like the tracks theres always the rest of the park to take your agression out on. Plenty of small offbeat side tracks .. good in the summer months, but they're certainly interesting during the winter when the green stuff dies back and you have uncluttered access to virgin snow, soft ground, and mud holes.

It's always a good ride when you bring most of the tracks back with you.

I've heard that Sandwell Valley has opened some new trails and will popping over there in the coming weeks. I can just remember going there to watch the Mounting Bike Mayhem 24hr races with the old man. Will let you know how I get on.

Link for pics - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... r-bad-news
  • Hi there, wyre forest is my local trail. The blue trail is utter cack to be honest. The best riding is the other side of the brook (button oak side) and your best off just riding around and exploring.
  • I am just up/down the road so I cycle to Sandwell Jubilee Park trail. Had a ride round the Valley to the cafe too. I like aday out that doesn't involve driving
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.