which padlock

ytokgoz
ytokgoz Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi there, i am considering buying a padlock for my bike but dont know which brand to buy. any advice please?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Padlock or D-lock, Padlock is irrelevant as the cable/chain is nearly always the weakest link unless the padlock is truly aweful.

Best security is never to ealve the bike unattended.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ytokgoz
    ytokgoz Posts: 3
    thank you rookie,
    unfortunetly i have to leave my bike at the train station.
    what do you think of thsi d lock? do you think abus is good?
    http://abuspadlocksonline.co.uk/abus-43-150hb300-ush-shackle-lock.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a rubbish thing off Ebay and use that to leave at the station instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    What bike are you locking up? The only identifiable component is the frame, so they can leave that and strip the rest with a few allen keys, as CD says get a cheap bike off ebay (my previous hack cost me £5.50!) for leaving at the station.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I use three and can recommend them all:

Masterlock D-lock
    Big and heavy duty. I use it to lock the bike in the garage.

Kryptonite Mini D-lock

Used for locking up the bike as it's light enough to carry on a trail in my bag.

Hiplock
    These are good chain locks. Thieves have had a go at my one and they couldn't get through it. Don't get too taken in by being able to carry it on your waist though. As soon as you get oil on it you wouldn't wrap it round your best shirt.

All these are at least Sold Secure Silver and all about the £60-£80 RRP. I was able to get the Masterlock for £30 at an LBS which was a bargain.
  • cooldad
    As The Beginner (I remember anyway) says, my ratbike, which is quite useable and well above BSO level cost me about £20, and my roadbike in Reynolds 531 steel cost a fiver but did need new tubes.
    My lock cost £1.99. I could probably have halved that at a pound shop.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cr250noob
    cr250noob Posts: 57
    I brought the 13mm chain and padlock from here http://SecurityForBikes.com/products.php?cat=High+Security+Chain+and+Lock+deals. Bit of a monster to haul around but gold rated.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cooldad
    3.5kg and a hundred odd quid? Seriously?

Anyway I've just pinched your wheels and seatpost.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cr250noob
    cr250noob Posts: 57
    cooldad wrote:

Easily long enough to thread through both wheels, seat post no choice but to remove tho. I was determined to use my Trek for commuting but in all honesty with hindsight i would buy a cheapo bike like suggested. A lot less hassle and cost.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • The Rookie
    By the time you are carrying enough security for a decent bike, it weighs more than a cheap bike!
  • cooldad wrote:

Bloody hell! They're likely to cut through the bike in order to steal the chain round these parts!