2013 Caad10 105 / Verenti Insight Ultegra

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Right, I've narrowed down my search.

Status is, bike must be paid for on finance, I know at this price point everyone keeps telling me Planet X or Ribble etc but there are no finance options.

Both the Caad and the Verenti are around the same price and top end of my budget.

I want Light, Fast with good power transfer and a bike that's capable on proper climbs

Which would you choose?

In case anyone isn't familiar with the Verenti (rebranded Ridley Orion but £500 cheaper)

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-verenti-insight-ultegra-13-47051

Comments

• Status is, bike must be paid for on finance, I know at this price point everyone keeps telling me Planet X or Ribble etc but there are no finance options.

Ribble do offer finance although their 0% interest is for only 9 months according to their website.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Planet X do interest free, friend of mine got his using this option.
  • LeicesterLad
    diamonddog wrote:
    Planet X do interest free, friend of mine got his using this option.

In store only from one outlet miles away from me according to their website! :(
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Worth the drive to be able to sit on the bikes and try them. I used to travel to Stoney Stanton regularly took about an hour on Sunday bit longer mid week, assuming your in Leicester.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Would recommend the caad 10. Great bike. Cycling plus did a comparison against other bikes and frame materials, wheels and tyres aren't great but aren't bad so plenty of upgrade potential.

You can get a supersix ata good price as well. Cannondale doing an offer of 20% free kit. Some dealers are just taking it off the price.

I have both and think they are amazing bikes. Team colours look the business as well!
  • LeicesterLad
    Supersix would be great but I just can't stretch to that. I'm moving towards the verenti due to the Carbon frame and ultegra even though deep down I know it's probably no lighter/better than the Caad.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Verenti on Wiggle's credit actually comes in at over £1,500:

24 Months x £58.82
    Deposit £135.00
    = £1,546.68

I looked at the Insight 105 before buying a Giant Defy 1 instead. Had a nicer spec but I could only test ride it indoors (condition of the 20% discount) and the finance was confusing. Did get a really good write up in Cycling Plus, though.

Financially, the CAAD10 105 at AllTerrainCycles, at £1,395 and up-to-36 month interest free credit looks a better deal.

Alternatively, wait for the sales. CAAD10s will be coming down in price soon. ATC had a 10 for £1,000 in Feb - although they don't offer credit on sale bikes. Edinburgh Cycles, on the other hand, did offer me 0% credit on my sale bike when I bought it.

Hope that helps.
  • LeicesterLad
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Verenti on Wiggle's credit actually comes in at over £1,500:

24 Months x £58.82
    Deposit £135.00
    = £1,546.68

I looked at the Insight 105 before buying a Giant Defy 1 instead. Had a nicer spec but I could only test ride it indoors (condition of the 20% discount) and the finance was confusing. Did get a really good write up in Cycling Plus, though.

Financially, the CAAD10 105 at AllTerrainCycles, at £1,395 and up-to-36 month interest free credit looks a better deal.

Alternatively, wait for the sales. CAAD10s will be coming down in price soon. ATC had a 10 for £1,000 in Feb - although they don't offer credit on sale bikes. Edinburgh Cycles, on the other hand, did offer me 0% credit on my sale bike when I bought it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Ian - that's a good summary.

I know the finance adds a little extra on top but needs must - spreading the payments is a must because I literally have no cash :(

PS. Whats the weight like on a Defy 1? I know they are supposed to be good frames!
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    PS. Whats the weight like on a Defy 1? I know they are supposed to be good frames!

I'll have a check tonight with the scales! Feels a few pounds more than a few CF frames I've felt in similar price ranges (e.g. Mekk Potenza, BH Speedrom), but not by much. I think about 9kg but I'll check!

The problem you've always got with something like the Defy is that its so often someone's first road bike - as it is with me - so its hard to really get an accurate picture of what they ride like compared to other bikes.

Re: the Verenti - worth checking with Wiggle but as long as the discount isn't above 15% (I think - check this) you can test ride it outside on dry tarmac for a few miles and, if you want to return it, they'll pick it up for you. At least, I think this is the case - probably worth checking before committing.

FWIW, I very nearly bought a Caad10 before looking at the Verenti, then the Giant - but I wasn't confident I'd be flexible enough for the frame. The spec is great though - very light frame and I think Cannondale do a lifetime warranty.

I did see a Caad10 on the streets the other day and it looked so good in team colours.

Whatever you buy, you're going to love it!