Will it all go in two Panniers?

tommyfelt
tommyfelt Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm cycling back from Pisa to Bristol in September this year. I'd like to do this touring style by camping each night. I'll be travelling solo so everything i need will be carried by myself.

My question is, are a 58litre set of rear panniers with the some kit strapped onto the top enough to transport it all, or will i need to fork out on a set of front Panniers as well? I'll be travelling very light, i.e just a tent, sleeping bag, roll matt, cooking equipment, and a change of kit.

Thanks

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Theres no reason why it shouldnt but guess it depends on what you have in the way of sleeping bag and tent. I guess it also depends on the route you are taking, if you are heading across northern italy and switzerland you will probably need to take a heavier weight sleeping bag but if you are coasting it round to southern france then you may be able to get away with a light weight.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Most people travel with two panniers plus a tote bag. 58 litre panniers are extra big by the way - the standard is about 48 litres for a pair.

Obviously it all depends on what you plan to carry, but it's probably best to start with two panniers plus something for the tent and then make do with the space you've got - and only if you really can't manage, get front panniers.

That's quite an ambitious trip - I'd suggest at least doing a short trip in the UK so you can test that everything works ok.

What route are you planning by the way?
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    All the weight on the back won't be that stable either.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    grim168 wrote:
    All the weight on the back won't be that stable either.

It'll be absolutely fine - although keeping the weight low over the axle and inboard
    always helps.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2 panniers + a barbag is a useful combo.
    Use a tiny tent, I managed to fit a Gelhert Solo+sleeping bag+mat inside my panniers on a non-cooking tour.
    Cooking stuff can take up lots of room. Food for solo riders can't be purchased in small lots so you end up carrying bigger packs of rice/pasta. You can squish everything down tight inside the bags but you need some loose space for bread, fruit and veg.
    Pack heavier stuff to the front of panniers, even if this means higher up. Put heavy stuff on top/front of the rack.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    In terms of stove try a cheap hexiblock stove with mess tin, weighs very little and is very easy to use.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.