How often do you check your Quick Releases?

fwgx
fwgx Posts: 114
edited July 2013 in Workshop
As per the title. How often do you check them?

I had a crash yesterday whereby my rear wheel became detached from the frame. I don't know if this was cause or effect. I have never checked them on my hybrid that I have been riding every day for 9 months and never had an issue.

Comments

• maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Every ride - takes nanosecs :)
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Once a week .. when I put them back on after cleaning and checking the wheels, tyres and the brake pads.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Seriously?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    maringirl wrote:
    Every ride - takes nanosecs :)

+1
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    I checked mine this morning :D ....... But only after reading the OP's other thread. I normally only touch my quick releases when I puncture, or if something feels wobbly :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    I should add, I avoid wheelies or becoming airborne, just in case there is a problem.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The front one every ride as the bike gets stored with the wheel off, the back less often until now :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Depends what you mean by 'check' - I look at mine. The levers are aligned in the horizontal. I can't see how the QR could come loose without the levers ending up at a different orientation so I don't feel the need to test the lever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I check mine every time I put the wheel back on the bike, usually something like this....

pedal pedal pedal pedal..... shhhhhhhhhh *swearing*, hit the brakes, unmount bike, wheel off, fix puncture, wheel on, QR tightened, check wheel, check brakes, mount bike, pedal pedal pedal pedal pedal..... Repeat
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Mods - please transfer this to Communter wankshop as its the sort of question they all ask. May be of interest to those who's experience and knowledge of cycling goes no further than Rapha, Hoxton, Richmond Park "racing" and double latte frappucino.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    Yossie wrote:
    double latte frappucino

the horror! the horror!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Never, until Sunday when the back heel became loose on a hill - fortunately going up!

Every ride from now on
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    I checked mine this morning :D ....... But only after reading the OP's other thread. I normally only touch my quick releases when I puncture, or if something feels wobbly :lol:
    I actually thought twice about typing the P word in case I brought me bad luck. It did :( First in months. Lesson learned