Shimano Brakes

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Right so ive managed to get a good price on some shimano XT brakes, they come without rotors, so what im wondering is what will be the best size rotor to go for, im a large rider, 6ft1 and weigh around 100kg would I be better with the 180mm rotors?

As thats what I current run on my elixir set up..

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just use what you have.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    180 front, 160 rear is quite popular. You can get away with 140 rear to save a pointless amount of weight, and 160 front isn't a problem for most people (DH racers aren't "most people")
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Dawesy92
    Cooldad - do you mean just use my avid discs? Im asking cause I need to get some mounts for the brakes aswell

Giraffoto - cheers for the advice, only probpem is the ice tech rotors are silly money!! :(
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    It is not so brake- rotor combination but more pads-rotor combo. Generally you can use any rotors with organic pads and not every rotor with metallic resin- according to some manufacturers. Size is up to you, frame and mounts you have.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your Avid discs will be fine, you can then use those and the adaptors already fitted, replacing the Avid callipers with the Shimano (don't use the Avid CPS washers and you'll need shorter mounting bolts to suite!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    because of the CPS washers, the shimano caliper won't be far enough out to clear the rotor without them.

9360696238_3eeec56229_o.jpg
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers for the reply guys!!
    Once everything is delivered I shall see what occurs and ask for more help when needed :)
  • The Rookie
    POAH wrote:
    because of the CPS washers, the shimano caliper won't be far enough out to clear the rotor without them.
    Rowlocks, the Avid mounting is moved out to allow for the CPS washers you donut!

Do as I said and it will be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    then why when using an avid mount with shimano brakes does the caliper foul the rotor?

not making an argument just pointing out my experience
  • The Rookie
    It shouldn't if the disc and adaptor are correctly sized, although just occasionally mixing and matching (of any parts) can result in slight fouling, it's usually only by about 1mm and not the circa 4mm of the CPS washer stack.
  • cooldad
    And worst comes to worst, new mounts are cheaper than new rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    POAH wrote:
    then why when using an avid mount with shimano brakes does the caliper foul the rotor?

not making an argument just pointing out my experience
    It won't. Unless you're making the critical mistake of confusing 160mm rotors and mounts, with 162 or 165mm rotors and mounts.
  • Dawesy92
    Cheers for all the info, ill have to see how everything fits when it arrives, im hoping it will all be here for friday to give me something to do with my weekend, but ended up buying the calipers for New York so possible be next week for them! -.-
  • Dawesy92
    The other thing i want to ask is, i ahve Jagwire hoses on at the mo, i have a new fitting kit for the Shimano ones, but can i clean the inside of the hoses with an air line and re-use them with the Shimano ones or will i need to buy new hoses too?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Why bother? Just use the Shimano ones.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No buy new hoses Avids use DOT 4 or 5.1. Shimano use Mineral Oil and the two mix to form a nice gungy brake seal killing mess. New hoses arent pricey have a look at Superstar I bought a hose kit for a set of Deore M555 and they went together easy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dawesy92
    Why bother? Just use the Shimano ones.

Reason being is ive got the calipers and lever seperate :)
  • Dawesy92
    stubs wrote:
    No buy new hoses Avids use DOT 4 or 5.1. Shimano use Mineral Oil and the two mix to form a nice gungy brake seal killing mess. New hoses arent pricey have a look at Superstar I bought a hose kit for a set of Deore M555 and they went together easy.

Was wondering if i could clean out like running water then high pressure air thru the hose to clean out? or would this not work?
  • stubs
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Was wondering if i could clean out like running water then high pressure air thru the hose to clean out? or would this not work?

You might get all the DOT out but you might not. I wouldnt chance it for the sake of not a lot of money these are the ones I used http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=429
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dawesy92
    Ive stuck with what im using, ordered some more Jagwire ones, in the same colour i have now! :)
    Suppose i can sell thhe avid's with them on :)
  • stubs
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Ive stuck with what im using, ordered some more Jagwire ones, in the same colour i have now! :)
    Suppose i can sell thhe avid's with them on :)

You will get a better price selling as a complete brake.
  • Dawesy92
    Yeah I ment sell the avids as a full brake with the current lines on, then use the new kit on the shimano ones :)
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Rowlocks, the Avid mounting is moved out to allow for the CPS washers you donut!

....just to say that at the moment I'm running XT brakes with Avid 160mm brake mounts and Avid G2 CS rotors with no problems.

Dan
  • Dawesy92
    jerryfudd wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:

....just to say that at the moment I'm running XT brakes with Avid 160mm brake mounts and Avid G2 CS rotors with no problems.

Dan

Awesome cheers, that gives me faith that my 180 disc and mounts will work then, do I install like the picture just without all the cone washers then just for clarity :)
  • jerryfudd
    yes, thats all i did.

Dan
  • jerryfudd
    picture you requested via pm.....

32357ECC-76C8-41F8-94C2-0BA4D0FFAC69-19352-000008F81D0C1F9A_zps5ba30336.jpg

(actually took it for the axle but you can see the mount)

Dan