Ride 100 London-Surrey Bike Setup

cdc02254
cdc02254 Posts: 181
I'm trying to work out which wheels to use for the event on Sunday, I know it may be a bit of a strange question but thought there maybe someone else thinking the same.

I have a nice set of 58mm deep carbon tubs and a set of 32mm deep tubs.

The course is quite flat and the hills are not more than cat 4 so my gut instinct is the 58mm but my start time is 7:30 so maybe I wont get the chance to use the 58's.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    your riding the event on tubs ?...so what you do if you puncture ?!.....London roads you know ?!
  • cdc02254
    I don't run on anything else. Tubs all the time and only two punctures in three years (touch wood)

Worst case scenario 15mm change taping the new tub on.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Weather forecast is looking OK, but quite windy, including gusts up to nearly 30 mph. I don't think deep sectioned wheels sound like a good idea.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I am doing it on 50mm deep tubs with 52/38 x 11-23 gear ratio.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stedman wrote:

Can anyone beat that? :D
  • Stedman
    Carbonator wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

It is possible with a 53/42 x 11-23 gear ratio!
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

53/42 x 11-25
  • cdc02254
    Not sure I can beat it but:-

54-39 x 11-28 and I think im going to go for the 58mm deep tubs.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Stedman wrote:

Oof - Leith Hill on 38/23 sounds painful to me!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Just a 50/34 12/27 for me - but running my daft light low profile Roval wheels with tubs, Tufo juice and a spare Tufo tub.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    i'm in the 7.30 start as well and running Mavic Carbon Cosmics clinchers !!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • Stedman
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

Back in March I did a 39x23 test run on Leith Hill with my winter bike in order to check that this would work and it did. I have lost some weight since then, so hopefully it should be better this time.

I have also used the 38x23 configuration in this year Etape Caledonian.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I normally have 50/34 with a 12-25 cassette but stuck an 11-28 on as insurance for the hills.
    After going up Leith and Box hill a few weeks back I am not sure it was really necessary tbh, but maybe my legs/chest will thank me on the day.
  • cdc02254
    Done last years etape stage 2 on....

53-39 x 11-25

What an oversight that was...
  • rickyrider
    Stedman wrote:
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

Back in March I did a 39x23 test run on Leith Hill with my winter bike in order to check that this would work and it did. I have lost some weight since then, so hopefully it should be better this time.

If its tried and tested then nice one - think I might struggle with that combo though! You must be gunning for a fast time if you are comfortable with those ratios? 5 hrs (perhaps a smidge under?)
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I'm going to be running a 50/34 with an 11-28 cassette.

I actually just changed to 11-28 from a 11-25 which I had used when I tried out all the Surrey Hills on the course a few weeks back. I'm not the lightest of riders, and found with 11-25 I was really mashing the cranks by the time I got to the top of Leith Hill. Those extra three teeth help a little bit better for spinning up steep hills I've found thus far.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I'm at the other end of the range... 50/34 and 12-30 on bog standard Giant wheels.

Catch me if you can :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Stedman
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

If its tried and tested then nice one - think I might struggle with that combo though! You must be gunning for a fast time if you are comfortable with those ratios? 5 hrs (perhaps a smidge under?)
    Wouldn’t use it though on Winnats or Hardknock Pass and you are correct, aiming for a 5 or smidge under.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I'm at the other end of the range... 50/34 and 12-30 on bog standard Giant wheels.

I didn't realise Ventoux was on this ride?
  • rickyrider
    Stedman wrote:
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:
    rickyrider wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

Wouldn’t use it though on Winnats or Hardknock Pass and you are correct, aiming for a 5 or smidge under.

Good luck - hope the crowds at the start don't hamper things too much. Anyone who gets a sub 5 on this should be pretty pleased with themselves.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I'm trying to decide whether I need to swap the 11-25 currently in place with an 11-28. This is with 53/41 on the front. I got up Winnats Pass on the 41x28 but it wasn't pretty. OTOH the 11-25 seems to run more smoothly. Man up or have a backup? Hard to decide. I think it is only a part of Leith Hill that goes over 10%?

Paul
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    markos1963 wrote:

I have the same setup and am glad of it on occasion, thank you very much :mrgreen:
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    mbthegreat wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I have the same setup and am glad of it on occasion, thank you very much :mrgreen:

Quite right too. There is a lot of tosh talked about big rings in cycling.
  • cdc02254
    Exactly, I have a big ring and it doesn't seem to have any affect on my cycling.
  • Stedman
    edited July 2013
    paul2718 wrote:
    I'm trying to decide whether I need to swap the 11-25 currently in place with an 11-28. This is with 53/41 on the front. I got up Winnats Pass on the 41x28 but it wasn't pretty. OTOH the 11-25 seems to run more smoothly. Man up or have a backup? Hard to decide. I think it is only a part of Leith Hill that goes over 10%?

Paul
    From my experience Leith Hill has 3 short 10% + sections in the last third of the climb. Winnats Pass is in a completely different league with half a mile climb at 20% +. If you can climb Winnats on a 41x28, you are a stronger rider than I am and at 48 inch gearing (41x25), you should be fine. I have even done the Leith Hill climb sitting down on my heavy winter bike with 50 inch gearing.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I've got a 9 speed 50/34 and have switched from a 12-25 to a 12-23 for this - I figured I'll want the 16t in the middle more than the 25t at the low end. If I had aero wheels then I'd be packing them too!
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    oneof1982 wrote:
    mbthegreat wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I wasn't talking about big rings, I use a compact on my road bike. I was referring more to the cassette, I can't imagine anywhere in Surry where you would need a 30t
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    markos1963 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    mbthegreat wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I wasn't talking about big rings, I use a compact on my road bike. I was referring more to the cassette, I can't imagine anywhere in Surry where you would need a 30t

Yes but some of us are heavy and weak.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    markos1963 wrote:
    I wasn't talking about big rings, I use a compact on my road bike. I was referring more to the cassette, I can't imagine anywhere in Surry where you would need a 30t because I may have my faults but modesty isn't one of them
    FTFY. :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Well I'm using a bog standard 50x34 compact on the front, and a 12x25 on the back.

At a cadence of 80rpm that gives a maximum speed of 26.2mph (which I doubt I'll be doing except on descents) and a minimum of 8.6mph (which I can hopefully beat up the hills) so what is basically stock gearing on a lot of road bikes should cover anything from 4 hour finishers to those racing the broom wagon. I guess 28's or 30's on the back would be handy for anyone who is worried about the hills.