Comments

• jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Its all a bit meaningless really.

According to strava my averages over the last 3 months are as follows:

May: 320.4mi 20hr 49m 13,221ft - AVERAGE = 15.4mph
    June: 491.3mi 29hr 28m 16,607ft - AVERAGE = 16.7mph
    July: 611.7mi 36hr 31m 20,098ft - AVERAGE = 16.7mph

Most the miles are my 13 mile each way daily commute between Bath/Bristol which includes a 5 mile stretch of traffic free pan flat empty cycle track. If all I did was bomb up and down the cycle track my average would look well pro and I would have maximum internet points, as it is they are a good 5 mph lower.

If you want to properly measure yourself get out to your local TT loop and have a crack - they are all on strava, you dont need to go to an organised meet if you dont want to. Just got into doing this, did a lap of Chew Valley U251 last night, completely buried myself, great fun.
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    You will learn your limits over different distances and also what you feel like on the bike.
    I started at 12mph over 10miles last June I now do regular 30milers at 17.5mph and 50miles of 16.5-17mph and 100miles going up the horse shoe pass and averaged 15.5mph.

It takes time, dedication, sacrifice, weightloss etc but its also important to get the occasional joy ride in and forget about numbers
  • I'm 42 and have been cycling for about 9 months. I've noticed that I hit my highest average speeds (about 16.5 mph) during the months that I've cycled the most, whereas during 'lazy' months my average speed drops back to around 15 mph, so I think it simply is down to fitness and how many hours you put in.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i wouldnt worry too much, no matter how fast you are someone is bound to fly past you. 15mph is alright, just keep riding and the speed will increase.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • My average went from 18 to 20, then to 16.5

What happened? I changed from riding on the levels to riding on the mendips :P
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was getting from 12 average to 15 average then fell off and will have to start all over again in about 4 weeks...
  • At 44yrs I took up cycling a year ago and I love it. I can no longer do impact sports including running. Injuries from my military past has caught up and taking its toll I am limited to no more than 25-27miles tops.
    I look to hills now and not speed. A year after doing one climb I returned and a few times each time improvement.

1 Jul 19, 2013 13.0mi/h - 198W - 2:44
    2 Jul 15, 2013 12.6mi/h - 192W - 2:50
    3 Sep 17, 2012 11.9mi/h - 202W - 3:00
    4 Nov 16, 2012 11.5mi/h - 192W - 3:06
    5 Aug 19, 2012 9.8mi/h - 155W - 3:39

I'm chuffed with it.
    My advice is to go out and ENJOY it if you don't gain on speed as you'd like you may become demoralized and then stop.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • Depends on where you live... and the road... and weather.. and bike...and you.

My region is very hilly - not a lot of flats etc. Climbs obviously reduce the average - falls can push the average back up. Mine is 16.7mph. I crossed over to do a few rides with some friends who live in in East-Yorkshire. Average went up to around 20mph because it was mostly flat.

Those who live in flatter areas however can bomb along at high speeds all the time - eat the miles and come up with high average speeds.

Never listen to people on about averages unless they are doing the exact same ride as you !
  • First up i would take most speeds on here with pinch of salt. Most men lie by a third, thats a fact. Want proof? Ask a bloke how many women hes slept with, they will nearly always add a couple on. So if someone says they average 18mph chances are its more like 16mph and they know it :D

In terms of speed dont fret it. Most of it comes with regular cycling and your base fitness going up over time. The more experienced you get overall, in all aspects of riding, should see your average increase.

To give you an example, 2 yes ago i decided to get back on the bike after a 5yr lay off. Thinking i could do the speed i used to i set off. I had put weight on to. Was i in for a shock, i did 3 miles in 30 minutes and i was breathing out my backside. I then got back into it properly. A year and a half down the line, 4 stone lost, turbo sessions in the week after work for an hour and a couple of 30-40 milers at weekends when i could and im now hitting 17mph average over a 50mile route. When you consider my average was 12mph over any given route it shows you how its come along and ive not really caned it, just stuck to it.

So be patient, dont kill yourself and as Team Sky say, just focus on the marginal gains.

Good luck
  • Went out today, a regular route of circa 12 miles or so. I felt I was going really slowly and the heat wasn't helping. Surprised to see my avg jump by 0.5 mph by he time I got home! Strange..... Btw 0.5 mph is a big jump for me considering my avg has been stuck on 14.9 for the last 2 months.......
  • Ask a bloke how many women hes slept with, they will nearly always add a couple on.

2....and thats after i've added on 3 :(

What I'd like to know is before the advent of bike computers how did a new rider to a club know what average each group held, or even what average he himself could maintain.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What I'd like to know is before the advent of bike computers how did a new rider to a club know what average each group held, or even what average he himself could maintain.

Answer = it was never an issue. You turned up, you rode, you either kept up, or you didn't. If you got dropped, you either gave up and went home in a huff (remember this was before the days when you could register your disgust on the internet), or alternatively, you went home and resolved to ride harder next time. It's how people used to improve.. ;)
  • As someone who's new to Road Riding, as I only bought my first ever Road Racer 5/6 weeks ago off ebay. I've found my average speed has increased due to several factors;
    1. Effort I put in training.
    2. Slick tyres
    3. Lycra and a base layer

Before I bought the Road bike I had a Trek hardtail that I lightened up for rides when the mud was just too much even for my DH bike during our crappy Winter/Spring. I used to average 13mph and this steadily rose to just under 15mph. The hills that I included used to kill me but I kept going and now compared to my mates I positively fly up the hills compared to when I started but they haven't averaged the 4-5 rides a week that I have!

With the new bike I've gone from 16mph to 18.1mph (yes that point one counts to me) and distance has risen from 17miles to nearly 60miles. I rode the London to Southend in 2h 54m 6s. To me and only me this was a massive achievement as I'm 16s 8lb and I'm nearly 49. I may have lost 2st but I could lose another 2st yet but that's another story. :lol:

For me riding 52.5m in under 3hrs was a tough ask but I put the hours in the saddle to make it happen. Being goal orientated, I found that my times were slowly getting quicker the more I rode as I tried that little bit harder. Even on the day of the ride I still didn't know if I would do sub 3hrs as I'd only just just cracked 3hrs the previous week on a training run for the first time. My OH is is very proud as is my Daughter but most important of all I'm happy with my progress.

Truth is how badly do you want to improve?
    You and only you know that answer.
    One great tip I got from this very forum that has helped me is, when you hear someone coming up behind you is to drop down a cog or two and latch onto the back of the riders tail for as long as you can. In effect your getting an easier ride because of aerodynamics but you'll have to pedal harder to keep up but when you stay with them for a few hundred yards, then half a mile, then mile after mile, for me the buzz was a treat.
    So, as long as you're happy you keep doing what you're doing as happiness is more important than any average speed.

Good luck in whatever targets you set yourself
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I guess your average speed is different on different types of ride but we will have a decent idea of what kind of speeds you are getting, mine have definitely improved since I started road riding in Jan and then again since I upgraded my wheels recently

Commuting - I tend to use these as short quick rides, bit like interval type rides, in - 19-21mph (downhill), home - 15-17mph
    Longer rides - Can vary, I did a 73mile fairly flat ride at 18.5 recently and a hilly one at 16.7, I've done 4 sportives (on the old wheels), the longer distance ones I averaged 16mph and a shorter one at 17.5mph

so to conclude my average is anywhere from 15-21mph :-)
  • Ask a bloke how many women hes slept with, they will nearly always add a couple on.

2....and thats after i've added on 3 :(

Thats a good point, maybe just a stopwatch and loads of calculations? I dont know where i would be without my computer and HR/cadence, been a godsend.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Really with average speed I find that it remains the same no matter what distance I am doing, 11 miles into work or a 100 mile sportive - even the amount of hills doesn't affect - I seem to make up lost speed on the downhill bit (mostly sportives will start and end in the same place). There are a few days when I have gone into work and I am having a good day (i.e. well rested and with the wind behind me and I am up for it) and I have managed 4 mph faster average. I am not going to mention actual speeds because there is no point and it just causes arguments here.

I use a garmin 800 to measure my figures - often I have found I have been doing a chilled out "slow" ride and get to my destination at roughly the same average speed as other days when I have been going at it hard and see high speed on my speedo - guess I just rest up more in the bits where I don't look at it
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355

I used to divide the distance I had travelled in miles by the time it had taken me in hours to give me a quaint "miles per hour" speed :roll:

:wink:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Average speed over a fair undulating distance... small steps to 18 mph and then the real work starts.
  • I started cycling seriously about 5 years ago, now I'm 65 and still loving it, as well as finding many challenges still. Speed varies enormously. In June I cycled one day at 12.6 mph average, 33 miles into a wild, wild wind with 2,900 feet of ascent and a long time since breakfast. The next day did a 14 mile loop 'round the block' and averaged 17.2 mph, the day after a group ride of 28 miles, again windy but with some fit youngsters so averaged 16.9 mph. Conclusion - it's all over the place with different routes, wind conditions, mental state and fodder consumptions - but good fun and a great way to get about. ps worst average recently was 5.8 mph over 10 miles - but it was up Alpes d'Huez among thousands of cyclists!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    First up i would take most speeds on here with pinch of salt. Most men lie by a third, thats a fact. Want proof? Ask a bloke how many women hes slept with, they will nearly always add a couple on. So if someone says they average 18mph chances are its more like 16mph and they know it :D

In terms of speed dont fret it. Most of it comes with regular cycling and your base fitness going up over time. The more experienced you get overall, in all aspects of riding, should see your average increase.

To give you an example, 2 yes ago i decided to get back on the bike after a 5yr lay off. Thinking i could do the speed i used to i set off. I had put weight on to. Was i in for a shock, i did 3 miles in 30 minutes and i was breathing out my backside. I then got back into it properly. A year and a half down the line, 4 stone lost, turbo sessions in the week after work for an hour and a couple of 30-40 milers at weekends when i could and im now hitting 17mph average over a 50mile route. When you consider my average was 12mph over any given route it shows you how its come along and ive not really caned it, just stuck to it.

So be patient, dont kill yourself and as Team Sky say, just focus on the marginal gains.

Good luck

17mph over 50 miles? I can do 20mph average over 110 miles, and that's on a recovery day.

:lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • At 44yrs I took up cycling a year ago and I love it. I can no longer do impact sports including running. Injuries from my military past has caught up and taking its toll I am limited to no more than 25-27miles tops.
    I look to hills now and not speed. A year after doing one climb I returned and a few times each time improvement.

1 Jul 19, 2013 13.0mi/h - 198W - 2:44
    2 Jul 15, 2013 12.6mi/h - 192W - 2:50
    3 Sep 17, 2012 11.9mi/h - 202W - 3:00
    4 Nov 16, 2012 11.5mi/h - 192W - 3:06
    5 Aug 19, 2012 9.8mi/h - 155W - 3:39

I'm chuffed with it.
    My advice is to go out and ENJOY it if you don't gain on speed as you'd like you may become demoralized and then stop.

Although I stand by my previous quote, I was also chuffed to nuts to find I had upped my Ave speed over a ride by from the 14mph's into the 15mph's. I was possibly a fluke but we'll see.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • I've managed to average over 15mph on some rides, but I don't kid myself that that's my 'normal' average. If I'm doing over 14mph then I'm doing well.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    As others have said...dont worry about it! Enjoy your cycling. If getting faster is your aim then try some interval training on the flat and get a computer if you have not already to monitor how you are doing.
    My OH is pretty obscessed about speed and constantly goes on about it when we cycle together...I am never going fast enough even though I am breathing out of my ar*e and he is having an easy ride behind me. I got so fed up that we rarely go out together now as it was putting me off and making me frustrated.
    I am so much better cycling on my own and can have a blast along the flatter roads at up to 25mph for a bit and then ease back down for a while...or just cruise along at 15mph if I so wish!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    arenaman wrote:

Impressive but what are you doing in the beginners section? :wink:

Answering questions from beginners probably - same as all us other non-beginners who send replies when we arent out riding bikes at 18+mph ave, or slacking off work :wink::wink:
  • If you want to ride quicker join a club your fittnes will improve and you will start to be able to ride with quicker guys and keep up with them for longer. It the best thing you can do to improve your riding.

I would never have improved over the last 18 months of road riding without the club riding.

I started with 17mph avg's solo now I ride 19-20 mph avgs solo on a flat route.

OH and I'm 58 years old.
  • hixstar
    hixstar Posts: 23
    I go out and ride. I only use Strava, which is on my iPhone in my back pocket of my jersey. I go out to ride because I enjoy it, but also to get fitter. I mainly go by myself. Wherever I'm riding I push myself. I get up hills as quick as I can, I go along the flats as quick as I can, but if I need to recover from a hill etc. I ease off, recover then pick it up again. You can get too hung up on times/speeds etc. I check my ride when I get home on my strava app and that's it.

What I'm trying to say is just enjoy it, if you want to get fitter then push yourself, it's that simple. You will get quicker/fitter by pushing yourself. Obviously eat and prepare properly before. But speed will come naturally just by pushing yourself harder in every aspect of cycling. Just by doing that with no special gear or garmins or Lycra, I can see I've got faster. Just get on your bike and push yourself.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you want to ride quicker join a club your fittnes will improve and you will start to be able to ride with quicker guys and keep up with them for longer. It the best thing you can do to improve your riding.
    Or you'll a) feel constantly guilty at everyone having to wait for you (because they're too friendly and polite not to) even though your pushing as fast as you can or b) be told to f*** off and come back when your faster (although probably worded it a little less rudely) and will just be put off :wink:
  • arenaman wrote:
    If you want to ride quicker join a club your fittnes will improve and you will start to be able to ride with quicker guys and keep up with them for longer. It the best thing you can do to improve your riding.

I would never have improved over the last 18 months of road riding without the club riding.

I started with 17mph avg's solo now I ride 19-20 mph avgs solo on a flat route.

OH and I'm 58 years old.

So when should I join a club then? My closest is probably Ferryhill wheelers but I don't want to turn up and make an ars* of myself. I haven't been further than 25 yet though I could. I'm 20mph ave over 10 at best and 17mph over 20.(not racing conditions best just the quickest I've timed myself over normal roads) I need to ride with someone to kick me on now but am a bit apprehensive

Now, the speeds you have just quoted is where I was when I joined my club.
    Most clubs will have a web site make contact on there. Our club welcomes new riders and we have a regular Saturday club ride with 4 groups. One is for the newbies and we havea ride leader who will stay with them and keep them all together. No one gets left behind. We do 24 mile regular route with a cafe stop mid way. New riders are welcome to ride for quite a few weeks until theyare asked to join.

No one ever gets told to go away and come back when there faster. The development ride as we call it goes at about 17mph avg on a flat route most people seem to cope fine with this pace. We have a slightly quicker group for the more experienced riders and a fast group for the nutters! LOL And a longer quicker paced ride about 42 miles.

I suppose I was slightly different to some of you guys as I had 3 years riding a MTB and a Hybrid and I was doing 17mph avg on the hybrid before I joined. I would recomend doing a bit of solo riding to get fit it my case and lose some excess weight I was carrying!. when I got to regular 26 mile rides 3 times a week I thought where do I go from here. So I took the plunge and got a road bike and started riding with the club.

I suppose there are good and bad clubs every where I am lucky in that our club has 250 members and we can have lots of groups with different abilities. Some clubs have less members who find it hard to slow down to the pace of new riders.

So I guess I would say buy road bike ride it for a few months get fitter increase your distances slowly and then join a club. Don't just buy the bike and go along to the club and wonder why you can't keep up it takes some hours of solo riding to get fit first.
  • Don't worry about looking like an arse, I still get dropped occaionally when I on a off day or the guys are just going to quick for me!
  • jonesy99
    jonesy99 Posts: 68
    im in the same boat, ive been riding for roughly 6-7 weeks and doing 30 milers in around 2hrs. I don't think ill do club runs till I can do 45 miles in a good time. im doing the bhf heart of York in September and that's 40 miles with some good climbs, maybe after that I might feel confident enough to ride with a club.