Zipp Disc sounds

DoubleSpeeded
DoubleSpeeded Posts: 18
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
HI all

im interested in purchasing a Zipp carbon disc wheel (clincher). which would be upgrading my existing FFWD clincher.

Im sure there are serious cyclist and racers here that have experienced the different brands and within the brands.
(I have noticed the carbon disc with alloy braking surfaces seem to muffle the "woosh" "chug chug" sound that people describe)

My question is:

1.) has anyone noticed any differences in the ZIPP disc range... clincher sound and Tubular sounds?
im assuming the clincher would be slightly louder due to an extra lip? or maybe even the same?

2.) I have heard on the professional time trials, riders using the Zipp Sub 9... the sound is quite noticeable (but of course, these guys are doing at least 40 - 50km/h average speed to get maximum sound effect)

but Has anyone experienced the New Super 9 and its noise? since Zipp had changed the design, dimensions and shape of it.

any input in this would be absolutely great

thanks heaps

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Please do not buy a disc wheel purely on the noise it makes.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    it does seem a random question, not sure what your reason for asking it is? I used my brothers front 808 at the weekend and that was super loud and real good in the wind, i doubt there is a huge difference in performance from a FFWD disc to a zipp disc but i stand to be corrected?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you're riding a TT properly, you won't notice the sound of your rear disc!
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    LegendLust wrote:

You wanna ride a Corima then!!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • okgo wrote:

why not?, what if you had the money to burn?
    LegendLust wrote:

really?!
    If you want a really loud disc, get a Mavic Comete

If you want a really good disc, get a Zipp Sub9 Tubular

Honestly, other than vanity, and a bit of weight, the Zipp will be no quicker than the FFWD unless of course you go tubular ;-)

well apparently according to ZIPP they claim that the Clincher on the super 9 has been revoloutionalized and is NOW faster than tubular..."throughout the windtunnel testing, we've been doing with the carbon clincher project, we've realised that clinchers are significantly faster than tubulars, aerodynamically speaking..."

Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFUcIinqkCo
  • DoubleSpeeded
    edited July 2013
    LegendLust wrote:

You wanna ride a Corima then!!

Hmm ive looked at it.. they arent cheap either

with the money spent on Corima.. i may as well spend a bit extra for the ZIPP.. since its the Rolls Royce of wheels:

Zipp-Super-9-Tub-Disc.jpg

=

wald-international-rolls-royce-phantom-ewb.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    classic...
  • LegendLust
    okgo wrote:

LegendLust wrote:

really?!

Honestly, other than vanity, and a bit of weight, the Zipp will be no quicker than the FFWD unless of course you go tubular ;-)

well apparently according to ZIPP they claim that the Clincher on the super 9 has been revoloutionalized and is NOW faster than tubular..."throughout the windtunnel testing, we've been doing with the carbon clincher project, we've realised that clinchers are significantly faster than tubulars, aerodynamically speaking..."

Yes really. With a twat hat on, plus loads of traffic noise plus the concentration of maintaining TT speed, I don't hear my disc. And it's a tubular Zipp 900.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Had a corima ,got a zipp 900. Cant hear either of them , you can her other peoples as you pass them but you cant hear your own. You can hear the whoosh from the tri spoke on the front but its not exactly loud . The only exception to this is when you're riding through the Monmouthshire tunnel.
    As for the zipp being the rolls royce of the disc , dont think so. If money is no object probably the light weight .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55 wrote:
    Had a corima ,got a zipp 900. Cant hear either of them , you can her other peoples as you pass them but you cant hear your own. You can hear the whoosh from the tri spoke on the front but its not exactly loud . The only exception to this is when you're riding through the Monmouthshire tunnel.
    As for the zipp being the rolls royce of the disc , dont think so. If money is no object probably the light weight .

better yet.. WHO here has the 2012 - 2013 ZIPP SUPER 9 Carbon DISC Clincher Or Tubular?
  • okgo wrote:

LegendLust wrote:

really?!

Hmmm... Now why might Zipp want to make people buy the wheel which retails at £200 more? I can't possibly think.

Do you also believe you can save 150 watts by wearing a helmet cover?

your not making much sense there dude..
  • imposter2.0

whereas you - on the other hand - are about to buy a disk wheel based on the sound it makes....
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Imposter wrote:

whereas you - on the other hand - are about to buy a disk wheel based on the sound it makes....

Classic response, it will of course be lost on the OP but classic all the same
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Classic response, it will of course be lost on the OP but classic all the same

You brits sure like to say the word "Classic".. must be a popular term over there...

put it this way... i wasnt actually trying to sound like a smart-arse when i said he didn't make sense...
    what i meant is... whether he was trying to be funny or sarcastic....i didn't follow. just like, i dont follow your humour at the moment.
    Imposter wrote:

whats wrong with that?
    if you had the money to burn, why not?

people who buy the current fastest production car in the world, The Bugatti Veyron.. which can only be afforded by extremely rich people.. where are they gonna use it to do 400km/h? same as lamborghinis?.. they buy it to use the speed every day? or are they showing off?

And lastly, same as the Rolls Royce Phantom... over here, this thing is $1.2M AUD...
    There are a few people who own it in the city i live in.
    you think they really buy it for the handy umbrella that ejects out of the door frame? or ergonomics?

obviously they bought it for the status...
    Yep, 99.99% of the population will think that car is the biggest rip-off... but hey, if they have money to use as toilet paper... good on them...
    (and by the way, you guys invented that car too)
  • NewTTer
    Mate use some of that money to burn for some therapy, trust me you need it!
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    Thing is, cars work as a status symbol because your actual skill in handling them is not on display, whereas having an exceptionally expensive bike will make you look like a tit if you still turn in slow times at the club TT
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Mate use some of that money to burn for some therapy, trust me you need it!

you think so?

i mean.. ."wealey?"

poms sure get nasty dont they.
    All i asked was the anyone who had zipps and in regards to the sound they make... and insults get thrown at me from the FIrst-World....Buckingham palace...
    typical ugly side of Forums , at its best...

since you are so aware of therapy, im assuming you have experienced.. so maybe tell us your experiences.. for others to consider..

samg123 wrote:
    Thing is, cars work as a status symbol because your actual skill in handling them is not on display, whereas having an exceptionally expensive bike will make you look like a tit if you still turn in slow times at the club TT

but who said im in a club? or that ill ever join a club?
  • imposter2.0
    Why are you turning this into a 'poms v aussies' thing? Before you brought it up, I don't think anyone even considered where you might be from, but it's obviously a problem for you.

You post in a racing-oriented forum (where the level of debate is usually quite rational), asking for buying advice based on the sound a disk wheel makes - the sort of question an 8-year old might ask. What other sort of answers were you expecting?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Have you all switched off your wind up meters? This is such an obvious one I can't believe anyone responded!
  • Dude if you wanna buy a Zipp disk due to the sound it makes, fill your boots, your gonna get a hell of a wheel to play with.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • LegendLust
    Perhaps the OP is building up a new percussion set – a set of different disc wheels he will play with drumsticks.

If so he should buy a Campag Ghibli - the bloody thing's like a massive tambourine. He should get some great sounds out of that.
  • DoubleSpeeded
    edited August 2013
    Imposter wrote:
    Why are you turning this into a 'poms v aussies' thing? Before you brought it up, I don't think anyone even considered where you might be from, but it's obviously a problem for you.

You post in a racing-oriented forum (where the level of debate is usually quite rational), asking for buying advice based on the sound a disk wheel makes - the sort of question an 8-year old might ask. What other sort of answers were you expecting?

rational?! reallly?,,, (i meant Weally?") more like useless two-cents some of the posts i see here....

The sort of question 8 year olds ask.. well 8 yr olds wont be posting on Cycling forums... nor can they afford $2,000USD for a zipp disc wheel.

"race orientated forum" <-- which means... its illegal and against forum policy to ask or even TALK about wheel sounds?!
    more like typical forum Mentality... "oh hes new... people are starting to rev him or disagree with him... lets join in the fun and go against him..." (trust me, i can see it happening) .....then a typical monkey-see, monkey-do mentality as well which will erupt any minute from this point on...starting from you
  • Pross wrote:
    Have you all switched off your wind up meters? This is such an obvious one I can't believe anyone responded!

like i said before.. i got $45,000 AUD to blow on any luxury i want at the moment.
    and $2000 out of that for a wheel is nothing...

and in reference to what you were saying... yes.. i asked a question, if people don't wanna reply... don't reply...

but you get some people like 'Imposter' who JUST SIMPLY CANT HELP it or keep his knickers ON.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I 've neverseenanythinglikethis.AlsomyspacebarisbrokenFFS
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • NewTTer
    Imposter wrote:

rational?! reallly?,,, (i meant Weally?") more like useless two-cents some of the posts i see here....

The sort of question 8 year olds ask.. well 8 yr olds wont be posting on Cycling forums... nor can they afford $2,000USD for a zipp disc wheel.

"race orientated forum" <-- which means... its illegal and against forum policy to ask or even TALK about wheel sounds?!more like typical forum Mentality... "oh hes new... people are starting to rev him or disagree with him... lets join in the fun and go against him..." (trust me, i can see it happening) .....then a typical monkey-see, monkey-do mentality as well which will erupt any minute from this point on...starting from you
    Please then enlighten us with some of your antipodean knowledge on how the sound of the wheel will enhance your racing performance?

Just for clarity the point was that it is such a pathetic reason for buying a wheel the rationale was likened to that of an 8 year old, as that is the type of reasoning one could reasonably expect of a child.

Go ask your question in Road Buying Advice
  • DoubleSpeeded
    edited August 2013
    NewTTer wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

"race orientated forum" <-- which means... its illegal and against forum policy to ask or even TALK about wheel sounds?!more like typical forum Mentality... "oh hes new... people are starting to rev him or disagree with him... lets join in the fun and go against him..." (trust me, i can see it happening) .....then a typical monkey-see, monkey-do mentality as well which will erupt any minute from this point on...starting from you
    Please then enlighten us with some of your antipodean knowledge on how the sound of the wheel will enhance your racing performance?

Just for clarity the point was that it is such a pathetic reason for buying a wheel the rationale was likened to that of an 8 year old, as that is the type of reasoning one could reasonably expect of a child.

Here we go.. what did i say... Monkey see monkey do...

you must be the next chimp..

well here goes... behold the ugly side of forums... been there and done that. battle the bunch of tough guy Keyboard heroes... Your number #2... ROUND 2!

you dont respect me ... i wont respect you back...

what did i write?!... if im like an 8 yr old and asks a question on here that completely offends you and your family... then DONT REPLY... simply as that... a 100 yr old like yourself should know that.

are you deaf dumb or stupid? (or blind)
    "racing performance" im not asking for performance did i?

obviously i asked for the sound as majority of racers have experienced different wheels....

Pathetic reason to buy a wheel... theres nothing PATHETIC about what i wanna spend my own money is it ?!

The ONLY thing thats "Pathetic" is you being Useless in this thread and giving useless 2 cents.

you want me to care what you think.. i couldn't give 2 S@#$... so go get some therapy yourself.

by the way you seem to have failed to Highlight the bottom part:
    "more like typical forum Mentality... "oh hes new... people are starting to rev him or disagree with him... lets join in the fun and go against him..." (trust me, i can see it happening) .....then a typical monkey-see, monkey-do mentality as well which will erupt any minute from this point on...starting from you"

Thats exactly you isnt it?!
    worry about yourself and not others Postman Pat

"Go ask your question in Road Buying Advice"
    GO? you have the right to push people around... well you should Get out if you arent gonna participate in a thread.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Here we go.. what did i say... Monkey see monkey do...

you must be the next chimp..

well here goes... behold the ugly side of forums... been there and done that. battle the bunch of tough guy Keyboard heroes... Your number #2... ROUND 2!

you dont respect me ... i wont respect you back...

what did i write?!... if im like an 8 yr old and asks a question on here that completely offends you and your family... then DONT REPLY... simply as that... a 100 yr old like yourself should know that.

are you deaf dumb or stupid? (or blind)
    "racing performance" im not asking for performance did i?

obviously i asked for the sound as majority of racers have experienced different wheels....

Pathetic reason to buy a wheel... theres nothing PATHETIC about what i wanna spend my own money is it ?!

The ONLY thing thats "Pathetic" is you being Useless in this thread and giving useless 2 cents.

you want me to care what you think.. i couldn't give 2 S@#$... so go get some therapy yourself.

by the way you seem to have failed to Highlight the bottom part:
    "more like typical forum Mentality... "oh hes new... people are starting to rev him or disagree with him... lets join in the fun and go against him..." (trust me, i can see it happening) .....then a typical monkey-see, monkey-do mentality as well which will erupt any minute from this point on...starting from you"

Thats exactly you isnt it?!
    worry about yourself and not others Postman Pat

"Go ask your question in Road Buying Advice"
    GO? you have the right to push people around... well you should Get out if you arent gonna participate in a thread.
    Yep you are confirmed stupid, I have already posted on this thread if you even bothered to take a note of what is happening in the real world. And strange as it may seem this part of the forum is about racing and performance etc., not the pretty sounds that wheels make, the rest of your clearly deluded ramblings do not warrant response
  • NewTTer wrote:

Yep you are confirmed stupid, I have already posted on this thread if you even bothered to take a note of what is happening in the real world. And strange as it may seem this part of the forum is about racing and performance etc., not the pretty sounds that wheels make, the rest of your clearly deluded ramblings do not warrant response

Prince William..., speak for yourself

sure you replied TWICE... and an absolute USELESS REPLY

F@#$ing useless..

so all i asked was the sound of the disc... so what? im sorry it offended your mother because i asked that

and your fanatical views is literally "f@#$ you and your disc sounds your f@#$ed for asking that"

well screw you too on the same note.

like i said before.. its a simple f@#$ question dude to the community.. not just an arrogant idiot liek yourself

if you dot know... DONT ASNWER... if you got nothing useful say... DONT ANSWER...
    rather than posting useless replies to try and sound like an internet Keyboard Hero and clock up your post counter like a post whore that just wants to give his 1 cents into everything he sticks his nose in.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Topic Locked, Double Speed behave or don't come on here, I'm watching you!
This discussion has been closed.