£1.5K Planet-X

kalowski
kalowski Posts: 16
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
My budget will be around £1500 and I like the look of the Planet-X Pro Carbon. Looks like it can come with SRAM Force or Shimano Ultegra. Any experiences of these? Opinions?
Or should I be looking at a different make for this price?

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    At £1500 I would give it a wide berth - frame very bendy :shock:

For that dosh wait another few weeks then hit the sales. Wiggle have some nice Italian Bassos for less money than this (Veloce not Force) but still a much better package IMO.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have had a Pro Carbon Sram build for a year and so has a friend of mine (he is no lightweight at 95kg), it has been a great buy and I have no frame flexing problems, my friend has not mentioned anything about flexing problems either.
    The only thing I would say is it feels light on the front end when you first ride it but that is something you get used to. I have hit speeds of getting on 40 mph and felt confident in the handling it is very responsive and will get you up to speed quickly.
    Go down and have a look if you can but there are a few Pro Carbon owners on here for opinions if not.

Good luck
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2013
    solboy10 wrote:
    At £1500 I would give it a wide berth - frame very bendy :shock:

For that dosh wait another few weeks then hit the sales. Wiggle have some nice Italian Bassos for less money than this (Veloce not Force) but still a much better package IMO.

I can only assume you have never ridden one :-)

There were three SL Pros in the E12 race that went past us at Castle Combe. For a bike that is bendy, lots of people race successfully on them.
    In the two years that I owned the SL, the only time that the flex was noticeable was sprinting out of the corners in a Crit. This is not something you'll notice on the road.

I have been 100kg and have hit pretty big potholes at 40+mph. It's handling has been confidence inspiring with lots of feedback. I cannot fault the bike TBH for the price.

One of the key points in buying a road bike is to understand what you want with the bike. Not much point in getting a bike as "stiff as an old boot" - if you want to ride it for long Audax rides.
    Simon
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    I've had a pro-carbon for a few years now and whilst they're not quite as good value as they used to be they're still pretty reasonable. Not as stiff as the latest frames but to call them "very bendy" seems a bit of an exaggeration. The light front end comes up fairly regularly but as diamonddog says, it's something you get used to pretty quickly.
    I'm about 85kg btw.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd prefer Ultegra to Sram - but what do you ride now ? Your opinion may vary. I know plenty of people with them - none of them call it floppy.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    For 1.5k you could have the RT-58 with SRAM Force. Think they would do it in Ultegra too if you asked nicely. Internally routed and a better frame than the Pro Carbon imo.
  • kalowski
    I currently ride a Raleigh Airlite 200. I like it, but I've nothing to compare it to. It is fine for 50+ mile rides but I'm doing more and more and want to move to carbon.
    Sheffield isn't too far away so i'll look at their store. I do like the look of the RT-58.
  • kalowski
    It has a Sora groupset
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Check out the spec of RT58 it is slightly different to the Pro Carbon Sram build (geometry and chain set).
    It does look a nice bike when you see it for real.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    A 'bendy frame' - what a load of tosh. If people don't know what they are talking about why don't they keep they're views to themselves as clearly in this case they are most definitely wrong.

Don't listen to those who think they know - listen to those who do know!

I have had my Planet X SL Pro Carbon for over 4 years and I think it has been an excellent buy. It's been an excellent buy and I would most definitely recommend it as a frame. Of course you can get better and without much difficulty, but you will have to dig deeper into your pockets.

I have Ultegra on mine and its a great combination. I was riding my Cube alloy bike yesterday and I was wishing I was on the Planet X in the headwinds and on the hills.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The trouble with internet forums is how do you know those who do know?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    £1500 isn't a good price for a Pro Carbon with Force irrespective of whether they're flexy or not. I wouldn't have one at any price because the excessively slopey top tube looks naff.

The RT57 or RT58 on the other hand would be a good buy with (almost) full Force groupset for £1500.
    More problems but still living....
  • kalowski
    True, but much of the enthusiasm has convinced me to get to their Sheffield store and have a look. It's about a 40-50 mile ride over Snakes Pass so I can turn it into a day out too.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Kangarouge wrote:
    A 'bendy frame' - what a load of tosh. If people don't know what they are talking about why don't they keep they're views to themselves as clearly in this case they are most definitely wrong.

Don't listen to those who think they know - listen to those who do know!

I have had my Planet X SL Pro Carbon for over 4 years and I think it has been an excellent buy. It's been an excellent buy and I would most definitely recommend it as a frame. Of course you can get better and without much difficulty, but you will have to dig deeper into your pockets.

I have Ultegra on mine and its a great combination. I was riding my Cube alloy bike yesterday and I was wishing I was on the Planet X in the headwinds and on the hills.

I did not say it was a bad bike and my comment about it being bendy was meant to be ever so slightly humorous but sorry about that. FWIW i do know what i am talking about. Anyway i know i am right that at £1500 its not good value and there are better bikes available for the money.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Got one, love it. Real pleasure to ride, responsive, comfortable and weighs FA in comparison to my old Secteur. No issues over frame flex, understand its not for everyone but at the end of the day I like it and thats what matters.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    kalowski wrote:
    I currently ride a Raleigh Airlite 200. I like it, but I've nothing to compare it to. It is fine for 50+ mile rides but I'm doing more and more and want to move to carbon.
    Sheffield isn't too far away so i'll look at their store. I do like the look of the RT-58.

High five to my Airlite 200 brother. I've never seen another one on the road anywhere.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    £700 for full carbon frame and Shimano Sora....
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 324518.htm

I bet its as bendy as a bendy thing though............ :D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    natrix wrote:
    £700 for full carbon frame and Shimano Sora....
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 324518.htm

I bet its as bendy as a bendy thing though............ :D

The spec description for that is hilarious :¬)
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...