Replacing Spring on Raidon-LO-R 26" coil Forks

RegularRebel
RegularRebel Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Its my first time posting something on the forum. I'm looking for some help! Hopefully with all the experience you guys have I'll be much wiser in no time at all!

I bought a Saracen Mantra Trail 2013 which is a hardtail (incase you didnt know) from a well known Cycle Shop Chain. I'm really happy with the bike, Ive ragged it over many many a trail already and its put up with me well. Ive changed a few things, all pretty normal stuff. The only problem I have is I'm a really, reall, really big guy and the Raidon-LO-R 26" Coil Forks (120mm) bounce about like the spring on a jack-in-a-box! My question is: can I put a different, stiffer, better spring in. Obviously this would be more cost effective. However, if i cant do that what would be the best fork for a really big rider?

Any help is most appreciated, I know this might sound a bit wrong but please dont answer if you dont know for sure. My life is depending on it on the trails and I dont want to be biting dirt any time again soon! I dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago coming down a mountain in Germany and at 43 the body just doesnt heel quick enough anymore.

Thanks alot.

Ian. (Keep Rididng)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you tried adjusting the rebound?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Should be a red rebound adjuster on bottom of fork, plus it's an air fork not coil.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    edited July 2013
    ... plus it's an air fork not coil.
    New LO-R-26 is Coil spring / Hydraulic fork.
    Sourcing any Suntour parts is almost impossible.
  • 97th choice
    you're right, was confusing it with the X1 - LO

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suntour parts have always been easy for me to get, try Greyville Enterprises.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suntour parts have always been easy for me to get, try Greyville Enterprises.
  • Yeh its defo a coil/hydro fork! Got the rebound sorted! thats not the problem! the fork is ok. Its my weight thats the problem! LoL. I guess I'll just have to buy a Fox Air Fork! Any thoughts on which one for a heavy duty rider! Btw. I dont do jumps or drop downs. I'm too old and broken for that. :)

@ supersonic! Did 10 laps of the Sheffield trail two weeks ago. Its a cool little trail. Lots of fun. Like a large BMX track. Will be back there soon!
  • 97th choice
    If you are after a decent budget fork then the air sprung sun tours can be really good, x fusion as well.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the fork is to bouncy, upping the rebound will reduce bounciness...if you mean you keep going to far into the travel, then yes you need a stiffer spring.....so is it actually too bouncy as you say?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeh I'm surpressing the fork like 60% before it even needs to start working! LoL. Funny enough tho Ive only bottomed it out twice. Even tho I'm a big guy I'm quite a soft rider. I'm just too big for it. Its a really good fork tho, for normal guys. My mate gets on and its no problem for him. I'm looking to spend about £500 for 120mm Air fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sag is it running?

Have you adjusted the preload?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.