New bike assembly

pessimal
pessimal Posts: 58
edited July 2013 in Workshop
just ordered a genesis cdf from pro bike kit, which is hopefully going to be delivered tomorrow.

how much do you normally have to do to get the bike rideable when its been delivered??

Am i correct in thinking its just a case of attaching wheels, straightening the handlebars and tightening them, or am i going to have to do more?

Thanks

Comments

• pessimal
    pessimal Posts: 58
    so pedals, wheels, straighten bars.

am i correct in assuming that everything else (brakes, gears) will be setup and adjusted correctly, or is that being a bit optimistic?

also, do i need to grease the pedal threads before attaching them, or not?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Greasing the threads would be sensible, if they are dry. If you ordered from PBK, it might be better to ask them the questions, rather than on here. They are likely to have a better idea.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The wheels often come as a kit of parts, so I hope you know how to lace one up! There's a bit of welding to fix your derailleurs in the right place and obviously you'll be expecting to do a bit of final detailing on the paintwork.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    The wheels often come as a kit of parts, so I hope you know how to lace one up! There's a bit of welding to fix your derailleurs in the right place and obviously you'll be expecting to do a bit of final detailing on the paintwork.

Unless it's Carbon of course in which case you also need to bury a tree and apply pressure and some heat for around 60 million years ...

joking aside copper slip on the thread of every bolt and stuff that shouldn't move but may need removed sometime and grease on stuff that should move.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Gears and brakes etc should be set up - but often are not properly done - check limiters especially - you don't want chain in wheel first ride! Brakes may need adjusting and centre-ing. Check bb is tight. Grease things like seat post