Wiggins Interview

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    RichN95 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    No he should have publicly congratulated Froome (via whatever medium) because it would have been good manners to do so.
    Why does he have to do it publicly? So the likes of you can grant your approval of his character?

Because its a hugely popular sporting event watched by millions the world over and he is a big part of that professional sporting circle. If the Tour was some private club event then fair enough. But it isnt. So what he does or doesnt do publicly has some bearing on whether he ends up looking like a rude/ill mannered person to the, er, public. But maybe he's so cool/such a "character" that that doesn't matter.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    rodgers73 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    No he should have publicly congratulated Froome (via whatever medium) because it would have been good manners to do so.
    Why does he have to do it publicly? So the likes of you can grant your approval of his character?

Because its a hugely popular sporting event watched by millions the world over and he is a big part of that professional sporting circle. If the Tour was some private club event then fair enough. But it isnt. So what he does or doesnt do publicly has some bearing on whether he ends up looking like a rude/ill mannered person to the, er, public. But maybe he's so cool/such a "character" that that doesn't matter.

The reason we are having this 'debate' is because CF was asked towards the end of the TdF and immediately after he'd won, whether he'd heard from Wiggins or not. If Froome had said "yes - he sent me a telegram/fluffy toy/bunch of flowers" this thread wouldn't be here and we'd all be thinking what a nice man that Bradley is. It's got nothing to do with Wiggins blowing kisses at Froome in public.

That's it - I'm out of this thread now :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    rodgers73 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

So you believe that anyone in the public eye has a duty to live their lives fully in the public gaze so that they may be judged by the likes of you.

BS. Stick to watching TOWIE & Big Brother will you.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I've sent a congrats package to Froome in Monaco on behalf of Wiggins.

It contains a hedgehog and a copy of 'The Jam at the BBC'

NOW IS EVERYONE HAPPY?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    [cynic mode]
    Whilst it makes no odds if Wiggo did congratulate Froome & the Sky Team in a timely manner. The fact that he didn't do it both publicly and in the timely manner to which many would deem appropriate means that Team Sky are still being talked about ...
    Hmm ...

If you were head of PR at Team Sky and wanted to make sure you stayed visible - would you
    a) call the previous team leader and ensure a suitable mesg was pre-prepaired for publication
    or
    b) leave it to the previous team leader to manage - knowing that he was probably a bit disgruntled for not being in the team and having been unwell for the abandoned tour he was team lead of.
    Hmm ...

[/cynic mode]

Anyway - I think Wiggo should've been there at the finish to celebrate what is essentially a team event even if the winners are individuals. IMHO he should've got the Team Sky PR machine to publish a congrats too.

But - I understand where he might be at - the implication that Froome towed him around the 2012 tour demeans his effort and if he doesn't particularly get on with Froome anyway then why worry.

Will Wiggo ride the TdF again? Who knows - it would be nice to see him and Froome get along and muller the rest of the competition - just as a show of strength- but with individual winners only I can see why that wouldn't happen. End of the day - an individual will win and the others must ride in support of that person - I couldn't see Froome & Wiggo agreeing to share the potential spoils.
    What made me really happy in 2012 was seeing the way Wiggo rode for Cav when he could - the yellow jersey leading out the sprinter - not just riding in the train, but going for bust - giving it everything he had - but although that may be part of a job, the real effort comes with friendship ...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Ahoy rodgers73 - and all the other arbiters of moral fortitude, decency and style... I have it on good authority (my imagination) that Wiggins is having an aero monocle fashioned by Oakley, a top-hat shaped TT helmet made by Kask and Dave B has promised to walk in front of him with a red flag to warn on-coming vehicles... Satisfied, what?
    That's the problem with this country; no something or other and too much whatnot... (cont.p94)
    Pip pip..
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Ahoy rodgers73 - and all the other arbiters of moral fortitude, decency and style... I have it on good authority (my imagination) that Wiggins is having an aero monocle fashioned by Oakley, a top-hat shaped TT helmet made by Kask and Dave B has promised to walk in front of him with a red flag to warn on-coming vehicles... Satisfied, what?
    That's the problem with this country; no something or other and too much whatnot... (cont.p94)
    Pip pip..
    Actually - that first bit would be quite comical ... and I could just see him do it - if only to take the p out of the media! :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So an inflatable wiggo at the finish and a forged email of congratulation and everyone's happy again...
  • Mikey23
    Or like that fawlty towers sketch, he's poorly upstairs in bed but you can look in if you're quiet
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    rickyrider wrote:
    His mood could infect an entire room for better or worse.
    Or team.

No wonder he's out of the loop.

On the other hand, why should he need to make public announcements of congratulations to anyone? That's a sign of insecurity, if anything.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I've sent a congrats package to Froome in Monaco on behalf of Wiggins.

It contains a hedgehog and a copy of 'The Jam at the BBC'

NOW IS EVERYONE HAPPY?

Surely it should also contain a selection of muffins? I mean look at the poor man, he needs some bad carbs and quickly.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Pip pip..

Oh god, has no one thought about the cows? Surely this will cause them to miscarry and England will come to ruin. No one ever thinks of the cows! No good will come of this. No good.
  • How many times do people have to ask for the bloody links to this "magical made up" interview?!!??!!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Amazing that the suggestion the guy should just say "well done" provokes such daft reactions. Imagine John Terry refusing to shake the rest of his teams hands or join in the celebrations when Chelsea won the Champions League. Ridiculous.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Amazing that the suggestion the guy should just say "well done" provokes such daft reactions. Imagine John Terry refusing to shake the rest of his teams hands or join in the celebrations when Chelsea won the Champions League. Ridiculous.

Exactly, Wiggo should have taken a leaf out of John Terry's book and turned up at the Champs Elysee in full Team Sky cycling kit

http://goo.gl/hbcOa4

:wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    How many times do people have to ask for the bloody links to this "magical made up" interview?!!??!!

What you mean the link Richmond Racer posted on the first page?
  • Mikey23
    Tears before bedtime
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Geez, not only he descents like a granny, he started to talk like one too.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    rickyrider wrote:
    His mood could infect an entire room for better or worse.
    Or team.

No wonder he's out of the loop.

On the other hand, why should he need to make public announcements of congratulations to anyone? That's a sign of insecurity, if anything.

he doesnt have to do it publically, take an ad out in the Times, and frankly it would so out of character to come out with some well crafted nice PR message to be perceived as totally made up no-one would believe it and make Sky look stupid.

but Sky had a page on their website with various congratulations sent to TeamSky & Froome, Chris Hoy sent a note, Vicky Pendleton added one, the PM, Brian Cookson, Stephen Fry, David Coulthard and even the Maccabees (yeah even Im struggling to understand some of those) but all those people felt the need to congratulate them either because they felt involved in the setup, or were simply inspired by the achievement.

all Wiggo needed to do actually wasnt even that, it was just offer even some private congratulation to Froome & all of Team Sky in winning the TdF, which is the biggest race of the year for the team and the whole reason the team he is still part of exists for, its not unreasonable to expect people involved in that setup to make some note of the achievement and not seemingly just sit at home sulking about it.

just so that when Froome was inevitably asked by the media, had Wiggo said anything to him yet, he could say yes, and we'd move on and forget about it, its not like after inviting all the former Tour Winners to the last stage event we expected Wiggo to get up on stage and symbolically hand over the maillot jaune to Froome, he'll just have to do that if Froome wins Sports Personality of the year award instead :lol:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Have Henao and Uran sent their congratulations? Swift? Sean Yates? Everyone at Rapha/Sky/IG Markets/Pinarello? I demand a list of everyone that has congratulated Froome so I can identify those who haven't....
  • above_the_cows
    More importantly has Pedro Delgado's donkey sent congratulations?
  • More importantly has Pedro Delgado's donkey sent congratulations?

No, because he doesnt want to make an ass of himself just to please some peeps on t'internet
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Its like a friend of mine observed recently. "You have not done something, or been somewhere, or met someone, If you have not posted a photo of said event on some form of social media."

Sadly, In the world of a lot of people now, that is true.
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    I sent him one- do I count....No, thought not !
  • above_the_cows
    More importantly has Pedro Delgado's donkey sent congratulations?

No, because he doesnt want to make an ass of himself just to please some peeps on t'internet

Donkeys are very wise. Plus they find Twitter a bit hard, what with having no digits.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The correct etiquette in these matters dictates that either the athlete himself OR his spouse may offer congratulations.

Knowing that Sir Bradley lacked the manners normally expected of a knight, Cath Wiggins telephoned Michelle Cound offering the heartfelt message f**k off you dirty slag and honour was restored.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    The correct etiquette in these matters dictates that either the athlete himself OR his spouse may offer congratulations.

Knowing that Sir Bradley lacked the manners normally expected of a knight, Cath Wiggins telephoned Michelle Cound offering the heartfelt message f**k off you dirty slag and honour was restored.

^now THIS I approve of :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,556
    Is this discussion still about whether or not Wiggins congratulated Froome?
  • Mikey23
    And we need to have a list of those congratulations so that they can be tested for sincerity and whether they fall within normal sporting parameters according to their previous levels of congratulations in their empathy passports. And can be reviewed any time in the next eight years. That should sort them out ...

I think I need some more medication
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I think I need some more medication

To quote Erik Zabel