MK bowl 3/4 standard of racing?

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
I'm currently doing the rockingham 2/3/4 handicap races mainly since a few clubmates do them, but I'm not really finding it to be useful experience since sitting in a bunch of 10 4th cats (most of whom are just waiting for the catch) isn't really that challenging.. its more like a chaingaing for the 60mins before the 2s and 3s make the catch :roll:

So I was wondering what the standard is like over at MK - I'd be hoping to pick up some points so I can get into the 3rd cat bunch at Rockingham...

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    There's a 4th Cat only race at MK Bowl too, also on a Thursday - but earlier at 6pm. Because of this the 3/4 race is mostly 3rd cats, so I would guess it’s harder to pick up points than in your average 3/4 crit
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I agree with the above,

The 4th cat only is real easy to pick up points.. was shocked at how easy it was. Started racing, kept with the bunch, no one wanted to catch the two man breaks, so i bridged but took everybody with me, did a few turns driving it along, sat in mid bunch for the last couple of laps, and on the final bend made a sprint and dropped everybody by about 10 bike lengths to pick up the win effortless.

Now the 3/4 is totally different standard. 3rds and old 2nd's who only race at the bowl for fun rather than advancing make up about half of the riders. The pace is high and the sprints are quick!. Much more common for breaks to get away. With the gates opened up and you need to stay in the top 10(ish) to give your self a fighting chance to gain points.

There is talk of a winter series, but they said there wasnt enough interest, but if there is this year, then it will remain in the inner circuit which is easier.

If you can make 6pm, join the 4th's. Plus they have smaller numbers turn up, i think there was only 8 a couple of weeks ago :)
  • alihisgreat
    Sounds interesting.. I reckon I'll have to give it a go!
  • alihisgreat
    Are there definitely 4ths only races every week? They might be so easy because they're not listed on BC website so no one turns up :lol:
  • fcukwit
    fcukwit Posts: 63
    Wasn't a fourths only last week I don't think, at least, if there was there are no results
  • alihisgreat
    hehe thanks for the tip guys - just got the 4th cat win this evening :mrgreen:
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Very well done - big field in the 4ths race ... I was the marshal on the carpark entrance BTW
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592

OMG!!! well done mate! I like to think I helped with my great advice!

Will be racing with you soon then in with the 3rds :)
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    And the NCRA this week was won by a cat 4 junior!
  • alihisgreat
    saprkzz wrote:

OMG!!! well done mate! I like to think I helped with my great advice!

Will be racing with you soon then in with the 3rds :)

haha I'll be back over at Rockingham I think.. the 3/4 is apparently quite brutal when they open the gates up :shock:
    Crampeur wrote:
    And the NCRA this week was won by a cat 4 junior!

I didn't fancy Sawtry because of the wind! Good win for her though, especially since we got dropped together at Rockingham a few weeks ago!