N00b with a clipless pedal question!

leapesportif
leapesportif Posts: 15
edited August 2013 in The workshop
Hi all,

First post!

after months of using my mtb more for commuting than mtb'ing, I've finally cracked and got myself something a little lighter (well, a lot lighter actually!) for the daily rides.
Picked up a 2007 trek 7.6fx (cruddy phone pic attached) for a measly €250. Previous owner is a bike nut, so it's been well looked after - something which has been verified by the local Trek dealers.

So, very happy! No more lugging a heavy mtb out of the cellar every morning! Done 24km of shakedown this weekend and already seeing an 8kph average increase!

First burning question i have about this bike is this:
The bike is equipped with Wellgo M17R half and half pedals. I've managed to pick up a pair of new Giro Apeckx shoes for €30 (!) and am wondering what cleats I should be ordering? Shimano? Wellgo 98A?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• kogut
    kogut Posts: 1
    You want Shimano SPD cleats.
  • Which? SM-SH51?
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    SH51s allow you to release by only twisting your heel where as SH56s allow you to release by twisting your heel outwards as well as by pulling upwards.

So SH51s are more secure and SH56s are probably better for someone new to clipless pedals. I know that when on a rutty uphill section on my MTB the SH56s have saved me from falling over a couple of times at least!
  • Thanks Valy,
    Will the 56's fit my pedals? Am I right in assuming i don't need to order the plate for the pedals? I've never seen these pedals before, but as the guy who sold me the bike was using them regularly, i'm guessing i just need the cleats.
  • Valy
    if plate for pedals is that thing you screw the cleat into then they should already be in the shoes.

If not though, you can try going into a bike shop and asking for them spearatly, but doubt that you would need them if the shoe is a... whoooa - just googled your shoes and they only accept a "road" cleat. You could make them work with the current pedals, but a better bed might just be to get road pedals that come with cleats as it would cost a similar amount. This is a great value pedal as the cleats just by themselves would cos almost as much as the pedal!
  • Valy wrote:
    if plate for pedals is that thing you screw the cleat into then they should already be in the shoes.

If not though, you can try going into a bike shop and asking for them spearatly, but doubt that you would need them if the shoe is a... whoooa - just googled your shoes and they only accept a "road" cleat. You could make them work with the current pedals, but a better bed might just be to get road pedals that come with cleats as it would cost a similar amount. This is a great value pedal as the cleats just by themselves would cos almost as much as the pedal!

Thanks again for the reply Valy!

I'm being a complete div here - its been about 15 years since i even saw a pair of spd's :shock:
    I couldn't find anything relating to compatibility of the shoes i bought (just lines like 'SPD Compatible' and 'Made for SPD').
    So, the shoes are on the way. If i buy these pedals then its problem solved as they come with cleats for my shoes?

thanks again for embracing the dimness!
    :mrgreen:
  • Valy
    Yep, exactly so!

You know that by posting in this forum you have also agreed to the terms and conditions, one of which is the most integral. Once pedals and shoes are obtained and used pictures must be provided! :mrgreen:(well, if you want)
  • Valy wrote:
    Yep, exactly so!

You know that by posting in this forum you have also agreed to the terms and conditions, one of which is the most integral. Once pedals and shoes are obtained and used pictures must be provided! :mrgreen:(well, if you want)

:lol::lol:

There must be a minimum number of posts required as ive tried to post pics and it didn't work!

On a side note - i'm not entirely sure where i should post - i have a road hybrid, but use it predominantly for the Commuter Cup (no hybrid forum) 8)
  • Valy
    I'm sure you won't get pitchforked if you post in the road section! :D
  • Valy wrote:
    I'm sure you won't get pitchforked if you post in the road section! :D

You never know! I as good as got my balls ripped off when i announced on mtbr that i was defecting :mrgreen: 8) 8)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How did you post the pic, you need to use an external host like tinypic or photobucket, put in the img code and the pic will appear, no restrictions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pedals ordered! Sadly at double the price you found Valy (i'm in Germany, where expensive beyond reason is the rule of thumb!)!
    Shoes arrived today! Brand spankers 8)
    Almost feel sorry for the guy who ebayed them - he included the original receipt for €149.99. I've no idea why he hasn't returned them (perhaps they're moody in some way?). Anyways, I hope he enjoys spending his €27.38! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Valy
    :O Weird - Rose bike seem to have really good prices as does bike-discount.de and bike24 seems to be also pretty good.

Everytime I think it's the UK that gets ripped off I hear about other places! Australia is pretty terrible too for that.
  • I'm driving to the UK on Friday night, and then straight back. Why? Food shopping! Any shopping (even Halfrauds)! And i'll be sure to fill my fuel tank to overflowing before i head back into the tunnel!
  • Here ya go then Valy! Some pics!

Everything arrived and installed.

Pedals:
    20130802_160356_zps4ff48eca.jpg

Shoes with cleats:
    20130802_161059_zpsae162d84.jpg

Just been out for my first test ride - all good!! However, i did spot this - grease running from the bearings on one pedal - anything to worry about? Or is it just excess working its way out?
    20130802_160412_zpsb97ab768.jpg
    Cheers :mrgreen:
  • Valy
    Nice!

Yeah the grease is okay unless you start getting a lot of play - though a small amount of play is within norm.