in need of a new chainset

freeride-mike
freeride-mike Posts: 553
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ive managed to twist the splines or wear them out in my deore cranks so have pretty bad forward n back movement causing the crank arms to not be inline :( deffinetly time for a new chainset but what to buy.. budget is £100 needs to be a triple and most importantly they gotta be stronger than crappy deore, whats people's reccomendations??

cheers for any input

mike
CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you've damaged. Deore HTII are by no means crappy.
    SLX use the same axle system, just different cranks.
    What did you actually break?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • by the look of it the splines are worn/twisted inside the crank arm

• cooldad
    What crankset? Sounds like you were riding with it loose.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Like Cooldad says, modern deore are Hollowtech II bottom brackets, so the rhs crank is permanently fixed to the axle. I'm guessing you've got an old deore set with an ocatalink style bottom bracket with splines on either side of the bottom brackets axle.
  • cranks/chainset is shimano deore 10spd and it is hollow tech II with the splined tube connected to chain ring side, wasnt loose only had them off a few weeks ago to put in a saint bb, bolts and bearing adjustment screw done up correctly :)

is the material used to make slx arms the same as whats usef to make deore??

• cooldad
    cranks/chainset is shimano deore 10spd and it is hollow tech II with the splined tube connected to chain ring side, wasnt loose only had them off a few weeks ago to put in a saint bb, bolts and bearing adjustment screw done up correctly :)
    No they weren't.
    is the material used to make slx arms the same as whats usef to make deore??
    Aluminium? Yes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But the axle is steel, and I'm sure the crank insert is too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • advice and or reccomendations for a replacement chainset was what i asked for not a lecture on my bike maintance skills.. as previousley said bolts were done up 'correctly' so that is'nt the issue the strength/quality of the crank arm material is.. if slx arms are made of the same aluminium as deore they arnt goin to be any better for the extra £55 price tag!

from wot ive read deore/slx/xt are 6000 aluminium (soft) however cranks like the saints are 7000 (much stronger) but nice condition saints in the req'd size are hard to find in my budget

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Deore are about the toughest cranks Shimano make, the rest are just lighter. If you ruined them you will do the same or worse to any other crankset.
  • POAH wrote:
    got an SLX M670 from merlin for £95

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... inset.html

cheers dude

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As stated though, they will be no 'stronger' than Deore, so if they are installed incorrectly then they will get knackered as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Shimano are also very specific about the way you tighten up the pinch bolts on those cranks. Pre-tension the pinch bolts slightly and then turn each bolt a quarter turn (tightening one pinch bolt causes the other to go slack but don't be tempted to turn if further because of this) in alternating sequence until they meet in the middle. If one pinch bolt is screwed in further than the other, then the one that isn't is prevented from applying as much pressure as the other and the arm can wiggle it's way free or turn on the axle, bending the spines (because it slips).
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    advice and or reccomendations for a replacement chainset was what i asked for not a lecture on my bike maintance skills..

They're trying to help you avoid a recurrence of the problem. Regardless of whether you've tightened it up by the book or made a total bodge (we're not here to judge), it's a good idea to check every couple of weeks if it's still tight.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er