Up-grades for Giant Trance 29 1

Roboleeds
Roboleeds Posts: 43
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to up-grade the groupset and wheels on my Trance X 29 1.Decided to go for Sram XX1 although at £940 fitted its a bit on the pricey side.As far as the wheel up-grade go's I'm looking for a lighter wheel with tubeless capability.The dilemma I have is should I spend this amount on a two grand bike,or cut my losses,sell the Trance and up-grade to a more desirable marque of bike.Any suggestions anybody.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What wheel set and transmission do you have on there already?
  • Roboleeds
    Sram x7 shifters and front de-railler,X9 rear de-railler,the wheels are Giant p xc29.got £1500 burning a hole in my pocket,and although I like the bike was thinking about getting something more "sexy"!.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what year of bike is it?

why a more desirable bike? so long as it's strong and rides well the name doesn't matter.

its pretty well spec'd alreadd (looking at 2013 bike) - there are a couple of things I would change for personal preference like the brakes, air shock to a coil (if you could fit one) if not then get it tuned and the seat post for a ridged one but its a pretty decent looking bike.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Roboleeds wrote:
    Sram x7 shifters and front de-railler,X9 rear de-railler,the wheels are Giant p xc29.got £1500 burning a hole in my pocket,and although I like the bike was thinking about getting something more "sexy"!.

Sounds like you need an orange.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • poah
    Roboleeds wrote:

Sounds like you need an orange.

an overpriced, badly welded ugly bike? :lol:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I thought the only criteria was it had to be a desirable marque, or sexy?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get a nice lightweight set of Superstar wheels, circa £300, and a 2x10 XT drivetrain.
  • Roboleeds
    POAH wrote:
    what year of bike is it?

why a more desirable bike? so long as it's strong and rides well the name doesn't matter.

its pretty well spec'd alreadd (looking at 2013 bike) - there are a couple of things I would change for personal preference like the brakes, air shock to a coil (if you could fit one) if not then get it tuned and the seat post for a ridged one but its a pretty decent looking bike.
    It's the latest 2013,have to agree its a great bike,just a bit jittery when parting with lots of money.have to agree about the seat post can't get to grips with the dropper post so I will change that ASAP.Do you think it's worth upgrading the groupset?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Wait until next year for the transmission. There will be cheaper 11 speed alternatives to the vastly overpriced XX1 groupset.

Why not try 1x10? I find that a great set up.
  • Roboleeds
    Wait until next year for the transmission. There will be cheaper 11 speed alternatives to the vastly overpriced XX1 groupset.

Why not try 1x10? I find that a great set up.
    Yeh been reading about the Sram X01 which is imminent and a lot less than the XX1, think ill wait,might be offers on at the bike show in September.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The cost of XX1 is stupid and component life seems to be very short. Could cost more to keep running than a V8 Range Rover.
    A 1x10 set up will cost you about £40 and unless you live in a very hilly area you will probably find it makes you a faster rider, you won't have the option to sit and spin so you have to go for it and put in some effort. I find I get to the tops of climbs less tired than if I used a granny ring.
  • poah
    I'd not unless you have something broke or can save significant weight.

you could colour code parts, bigger more bling rotors?????? and maybe get lighter wheels if you want but its pretty well spec'd as is. You could also get the shock pushed tuned by TFtuning

Roboleeds wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    what year of bike is it?

It's the latest 2013,have to agree its a great bike,just a bit jittery when parting with lots of money.have to agree about the seat post can't get to grips with the dropper post so I will change that ASAP.Do you think it's worth upgrading the groupset?