China & My first big tour and first post

Haggis Hurler
Haggis Hurler Posts: 9
edited August 2013 in Tour & expedition
I have only recently planned a basic route for a tour I will be doing of China next year on Bikely.

However got a couple of questions I kind think some of you guys here will already know the answer too and possibly one or two that I still have to research.

The biggest question is related to altitude, quite a bit of the route will be above 3000m, how long does the average person need to aclimatrise before they can get stuck in to the roads and hills ?? at what height do you need to start watching for altitude sickness and breathing ??

& has anyone done any of this route I've laid out on bikely, http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/ba ... china-tour

are there places to avoid or places that I have missed out.. It can be extended, I have 6 months and thought 7500 miles would a decent distance to cover in that time, giving me enough time for some time off to look around on the way..

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    If you start at low altitude, the rise should be gradual enough so that you (kind of) get used to it. This doesn't mean you'll not suffer to some extentm but even if you stayed there a few months, you wouldn't have the usual energy level.

At 2,000 metres you will begin to feel the effects: a slight shortage of beath, which becomes worse so at 3,000m. If you are quite young and fit you won't need any medical help at 4,000 metres - you will just feel dizzy and lethargic. Above that you will labour a lot and find cycling hard work.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    a little dangerous to dole out medical information like that! If young fit, and healthy, you're perhaps less likely to feel the affects, but my understanding was that altitude sickness affects people in very different ways. Very fit and healthy people have died on the way to Everest base camp (5364m)
    Make sure you know what the symptoms are, acclimatize gradually and at 3000m you should be absolutely fine. Most sources say people only begin to get affected above 2400m so you're still very much at the lower end of the scale with minimal risk.
  • Thanks for both your replies cycladelic & mea00csf .

KInda what I was thinking but good to get some clarification.

Now I just hope there are a couple of members who have cycled thru China to get some local tips from..
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    There are a lot of tour journals on this web site below... the link should take you to a page with them all listed, also indicating which area was covered - just scroll down the page:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/loca ... pe=journal
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Altitude sickness is the kind of thing that can affect anyone - even if you're a fit cyclist, so its a good idea to get some medical advice before you go - and I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable cycling solo at those altitudes just in case altitude sickness does hit you.

When I went to Peru a few years ago we took a 24hr bus ride from Lima at sea level to Cusco at 3300m - which was one of the worst experiences of my life.. imagine the combination of motion sickness, adjusting to the altitude, and dehydration :shock:

We also trekked up to 4600m in the area around the Colca Canyon and that was tough.. there just isn't much air up there!
  • TomBruce
    TomBruce Posts: 28
    You might be interested to read my blog about cycling through China on part of my round the world route.
    http://www.tombrucecycling.com
  • Thanks for the Link Tom, I have actually read your blog quite some time ago. Was one of the things that pushed me to make that last final decision to get on with planning a rough route.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    As has been said altitude sickness can affect anyone, the super fit and healthy can be just as susceptible as the non fit brigade. It is important to recognise the symptoms and not let your judgement become clouded by an unrealistic desire to reach a summit. Altitude sickness can and does KILL. The best advice is to descend asap if this is possible, if you haven't fallen into a coma. If you are affected and continue you might put others' lives at risk trying to rescue you or if you are alone die where you fall. I cannot think of a more painful way to die as the headache can be excruciating as well as pains in your bowels. I experienced AS climbing Mount Kinabalu 4100m despite spending 3 nights in a hut below the summit trying to acclimatise and then temporarily descending while trying to reach the summit. Fortunately one of the group I was climbing with recognised my symptoms immediately and got me down to a lower altitude and stayed with me. On reflection they may well have saved my life as my judgement was impaired. The pain was intense.

Up to 2500m you shouldn't have a problem but anything above this shortness of breath will be the first indicator of reduced oxygen. As you will be cycling you will need lots of oxygen so be mindful of your limitations. It is better to stop or go down than die trying to reach a summit.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.