Disk Brakes? Yay or Nay!!

2»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    TOM14S wrote:
    Hmmm, maybe it's just me, as I've only ridden a couple of mtb that have disk brakes but I'm amazed no one's mentioned about brake feel / progressives. I find rim brakes have wbitmore feel to them, I.e. not just on off, the breaking force can be modulated better. Then there's disc warping, noise from the discs, regular pad changes, leaking cylinders, and the occasional bit of brake drag from disk brakes.

Oh and who ever mentioned about getting WD40 on their brake disk and it not working properly for ages. It's not the disk that's the issue its the pads will have absorbed it a bit

The feel you mention can be costly. A cheap rim costs 40 pounds, an expensive one 700. WD40 is not for bicycles... there is not a single job that requires WD40. It is abused and misused... it's not a cleaning product, it serves its purpose to help with seized threads
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Plus gas is better for seized threads though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've got disks on my commuter road bike. They're fantastic for the commute, especially in the wet, so much so that I have to take extra care when switching back to a rim brake bike as they power and control are definitely worse. The downside is the noise, especially with the front brake, and the need to frequently adjust the pad clearance (BB7's). I'm going to try the new TRP mechanical/hydraulic ones as hopefully they'll have the benefits of hydraulic brakes with the compatibility of mechanical ones. The early reviews are positive, so I'm hopefully it will solve the issues.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I think this point was that (as seen on MTB rims), that disk specific rims are lighter than the equiv rim with a breaking surface.

It's not necessarily just the weight of the braking surface, but it's the extra material required to withstand the rim being 'crushed'. The weight difference isn't huge...

XC 717 Disc 395 g vs XC 717 420g (25g per rim)
    http://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims/mo ... isc#128176
    http://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims/mo ... 717#128180

What is very noticeable is the difference in design of the rim in terms of it's cross section. Disc specific rims are considered to be stronger (which seems to be the case from experience).

I think what will be interesting on road bikes is what can be achieved using carbon, since the brake surface have always seem to have been an issue ( (e.g. heat and flaking issues)

Your example certainly shows there is some weight to be lost from the braking surface. 25g IMO does not make a compelling argument for disc brakes though.

Some tubular manufactures manage to shed 200g compared to clincher versions of their rims. That was convincing enough argument for me.
  • I am taking the plunge and having disk brakes fitted when Tom Donhou builds my next bike early next year. Interested to see what options there are in the market by then.
  • Decided years ago the answer was a definite yay for all non racing purposes when l built up a BB7 equipped tourer. Not long since added a second disc braked (for me) do it all steel Genesis and fitted TRP HYRD both ends and they work brilliantly with the easiest installation imaginable so an even bigger yay from me. The HYRD's are a mechanical/hydraulic hybrid so can only imagine how good the fully hydraulic systems are.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    still waiting for the HYRD hydraulic brakes to come in, the uk distributor seems a little cack ...
  • giant man wrote:
    still waiting for the HYRD hydraulic brakes to come in, the uk distributor seems a little cack ...

Had quite a wait for mine, almost cancelled my order and went for another set of BB7's but glad I was (for once) patient :D