Wheel inches

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited July 2013 in MTB general
As everyone know's gentlemen inches are much smaller than real ones but I have noticed that bicycle wheel inches seem to be a bit bigger than real ones. Out of interest I measured the diameter of the wheels over the tyres on my XC & DH bikes. Both have 26" wheels but measure 27" on the XC bike (2.2" Rubber Queen) and 27.25" on the DH bike (2.5" Minion). So what sizes are 650B and 29"? Are wheel sizes a random number that doesn't really mean anything?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are, but you are measuring tyres not wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Knobbles stick out from the tyre. the tyre carcass will be approximately 26" - but is never going to be precisely accurate because we have a choice of various widths and volumes of tyre.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    On One said that the 27.5" wheels on the new 456 proto came to over 28" with some Conti MK2s on. The 'official' wheel size is just based on a nominal diameter, isn't it?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Then there is tyre profile which varies between manufacturers.

And the other misnomer is 650B is 27.5 inches, it's not
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    My 26" is actually 27", whilst my 29" is bang on.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It is all bollocks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ^^Don't get him started, he thinks tyre sizes were created by the CIA just to f**k with us.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    No, the lizard people!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Northwind wrote:
    It is all ****.

Nonsense, my bike now has the playfulness of a 26" together with the rolling efficiency of a 29"*

*other ridiculous marketing phrases are available
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I cant wait for the new oval wheels to come out. They are much more efficent than boring old round wheels.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    stubs wrote:
    I cant wait for the new oval wheels to come out. They are much more efficent than boring old round wheels.
    Have you heard that there's three competing ideas on oval wheels? Shimano are making oval ones, nearly everyone else is making ovals as well, but with the shape rotated by 90 degrees. And SRAM are making egg shaped ones, that require a greater than 360degree rotation to complete each revolution, because it gives a positive rolling feel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stubs wrote:

After casing a road gap today I now have oval wheel.
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:
    Have you heard that there's three competing ideas on oval wheels? Shimano are making oval ones, nearly everyone else is making ovals as well, but with the shape rotated by 90 degrees. And SRAM are making egg shaped ones, that require a greater than 360degree rotation to complete each revolution, because it gives a positive rolling feel.

Thats nothing Campagnolo are going to release an oval wheel as well except it will be a teensy tiny bit different and incompatible with everything else and will cost 4 times as much. It will be called Stessa ferrovecchio super record
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    stubs wrote:
    Campagnolo
    I think that's grounds for an instaban. Where the hell do you think you are, some kind of roadie forum?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have Campag wheels on my MTB. Excellent.
    Bring on the banstick.

Called Fulcrum though so the roadies don't find out and disown Campag.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:
    Campagnolo
    I think that's grounds for an instaban. Where the hell do you think you are, some kind of roadie forum?

Campag did do a MTB groupset once. It was heavy, bendy, crapshifting and wildly expensive and nearly put the company to bed. As a result it is now worth its weight in gold and makes members of retrobike go all weak at the knees. I have quite a few bits and bobs of Campag road and MTB stuff in my shed picked up here and there for a few quid at car booots and the like. One day I will swap it for a pile of £20 notes.