Multi use bike for around £800

Pughbonic
Pughbonic Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I need (want) a new bike for a couple of different tasks:

- 10-20 mile ride 3 times a week on road and cycle paths
- 10 mile single track ride 2 times a week

I have been looking at the new Rockhopper Comp (2014) when it comes out and the Trek Cobia (2013)

Any ideas/advice in what I should be looking for?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29er a deliberate choice?

The Rockrider 8.1 (26er) is better specced and cheaper than the comp, the Cobia is better specced than the comp as well (and a 29er).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Specializeds 014 Rockhopper and Hardrock range look atrocious for the money, ones to avoid.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For that use a cyclocross bike will be better. Mountain bikes are rubbish on the road unless you change the set up to suit road which then makes them rubbish off road.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the singletrack - not sure I'd like to tackle some routes on 46cm bars, 35mm tyres and 73 degree head angles!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This will be better than either of the bikes you mention on_one_scandal_trail_29er_mountain_bike For the road get a pair of cheap slick commuter tyres for about £10 each and your good to go.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Pughbonic
    All the bike tracks will be Forest of Dean and South Wales.

Any suggestions or should I push the budget, buy two bikes, one for MTB and one for roads?

Any good bikes around or offers?

Cheers,

Ben
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've just got a voodoo bizango for commuting and training, excellent bike with great reviews, plus only £599.

Your only difficulty will be tracking one own, hardly any in store and next shipment arriving September.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Pughbonic
    The Bizango is now obsolete. Any more ideas anyone?
  • 97th choice
    Er, it isn't, it's a brand new model. Halfords just don't show it on the website unless there is stock available.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • stubs
    Er, it isn't, it's a brand new model. Halfords just don't show it on the website unless there is stock available.

You say new stock arriving in september. How did you find this out is there a pre order facility or is that just from the bikehut staff.

Fancy one as a winter bike and an introduction to wagon wheels.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 97th choice
    Rang the c2w helpline and they told me, however my local store searched around other stores and found one on display in another store and got it transferred.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • stubs
    Cheers will keep my eye on the website