Really? garmin 500

richie1973
richie1973 Posts: 99
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
hi,
after work i set out on a ride, got my new garmin 5oo today so took that for a test too. all set up (without heart rate monitor) it said i burnt 3599 callories, seems high to me any one else have one and what are peoples thoughts on these figures.
i rode 64 mile (grimsby to doncaster via gainsborough) still clipped in at gainsborough and at lights fell sideways, was like a cartoon, ha ha. time was 3:45:00 average 17.1

thanks all.

building up for my first century next sat. pic of bike included

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I'd certainly take that with a pinch of salt. riding for that length of time and speed you will have done really well but i'm not sure 3599 is right. try again with your HRM and if you have on the cadence sensor as the more information the Garmin can get the more accurate the information it gives you.

can i assume you have entered your weight, height etc into your Garmin already also?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • richie1973
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    I'd certainly take that with a pinch of salt. riding for that length of time and speed you will have done really well but i'm not sure 3599 is right. try again with your HRM and if you have on the cadence sensor as the more information the Garmin can get the more accurate the information it gives you.

can i assume you have entered your weight, height etc into your Garmin already also?

yeh entered all the info. got the 500 red, it came with the hrm and cadence sensor, just didnt have time to set them all up as i finished work at 5 and knew time vs daylight may be an issue. will try with both sensors on next time. but yeh, all the other info was inputted
  • richie1973
    MacLeod113 wrote:

forgot to add....my first century next week is from cleethorpes (where i live ) to nottingham. (see your local, lol)
  • Generally i find that it says i have used far more calories without the HRM than with it

Will
  • BigTK
    BigTK Posts: 47
    you used up 3k calories when you fell LOL
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    richie1973 wrote:
    MacLeod113 wrote:

forgot to add....my first century next week is from cleethorpes (where i live ) to nottingham. (see your local, lol)

We did a club ride from Bolsover to Cleethorpes and back a few weeks ago, was a lot tougher on way home due to headwind. Hopefully the wind will have changed for you!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    A heart rate monitor is not going to make it any more accurate. Without a power meter, calories on these devices are just a random guess. Even with a power meter the calorie estimate can be out by +/- 10%
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • richie1973
    BigTK wrote:
    you used up 3k calories when you fell LOL

lol,
    yeh in my red face!