My Hoodoo

OllyGunn
OllyGunn Posts: 18
edited August 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Just started getting into MTB again and bought myself a Voodoo Hoodoo before the 2013/2014 versions came out. Been adding to it slowly. I'm getting there, my overall goal is to swap out every OEM part with an aftermarket part if possible, will make it more lighter too! The colour scheme i'm going for is red and black. Will fit nicely if i decided to get the frame resprayed in a colour like white or black :)

(Sorry for the bad focusing, new phone and the camera isn't great. Will get new pictures once my SLR charges.
Picture of the first day i got it:
et45.jpg

After a few weeks or so i bought a Hope QR Seat clamp, Charge Spoon Saddle and a Raceface XC Seatpost along with some Giant XC Lock on grips.
Picture after installation:
xnfu.jpg

Picture at Dalby:
3fb4.jpg

A few weeks after that (When i finally got paid!) I took advantage of the Wiggle sales and bought myself Easton Havoc 750mm Bars and a 65mm Easton Havoc stem, this is made a massive difference and is more suited to my aggressive riding style, along with been a tall guy the wide bars feel a lot more comfortable. Along with that i bought some Hope bar ends which look pretty neat. I'm planning on buying a Hope bash guard to replace my big ring because i never use it yet i'm forever catching it on stumps etc. My dad gave me his old pedals (M-Part) They will do for now, the OEM pedals wasn't as comfortable for me as these ones are.

After installing new parts-
Whole bike as of now:
xcpj.jpg

The bars and stem:
t0yz.jpg

The bar ends:
uijt.jpg

If there is any critisisms so far along with possible improvments please let me know, kind of new to this style of riding and bikes so anything is something :D

Thanks.
Forever learning to wheelie far. :(
Voodoo Hoodoo 2011/2012
Voodoo Owners Thread

Comments

• mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    I've yet to see a voodoo I don't like. Nothings changed. I like this one too. Good work
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Liking it! Bar ends are gorgeous!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • OllyGunn
    Lewis A wrote:
    Liking it! Bar ends are gorgeous!
    mrlee wrote:
    I've yet to see a voodoo I don't like. Nothings changed. I like this one too. Good work

Thanks! Can only get better i suppose! I thought i'd buy the bar ends first and then buy more stuff in Hope red because you can't really tell what the color is like on the website! Matches perfectly though!
    Voodoo Hoodoo 2011/2012
    Voodoo Owners Thread
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Liking this mate, Got go agree with you Lee.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Changing all the parts one by one doesn't seem that cost effective, and you'll still be left with a relativelyheavy frame.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    And a bike he'll love? Lol.

I've done the same thing with my bike albeit almost all the upgrades were second hand bargains, so they were cost effective.
  • supersonic
    Depends, I know it wouldn't be the way I'd do things.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Nice bike, but if you had saved up the money you are now spending on changing everything you could have built a better much lighter bike and it would have been exactly as you want it from the start, this is what I did with my Scott.
  • OllyGunn
    WindyG wrote:
    Nice bike, but if you had saved up the money you are now spending on changing everything you could have built a better much lighter bike and it would have been exactly as you want it from the start, this is what I did with my Scott.
    WindyG wrote:

I see what you both mean, but it's no fun to buy all the bits at once and put them all on (for me anyway) I prefer to see it gradually build up. I'm not going for as light as possible anyway. What i want to ask however is why would it make a difference buying things later instead of gradually if the weight will slowly come down anyway?

Thanks.
    Voodoo Hoodoo 2011/2012
    Voodoo Owners Thread
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I tend to just upgrade the bits on my bike when they break, this happens often enough with budget parts I find!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Voodoo parts are fairly robust. I can't see anything wrong with swapping bars/ stem or saddle for more suited ones (60mm bars difference made my back pain gone after long rides). Changing the bits only to match colour seems to be daft but it is his money after all.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    So many negative comments :( If it's a hobby, your constantly gonna spend money on it. Always changing things to suit your taste. I wouldn't like to think how much I've spent/wasted on mine. If you buy everything in one go, surely it would take away the fun factor. If everyone bought stuff in one big hit, no one would be updating their thread. This is just my opinion. After all. The OP did ask for all comments. Good and bad :D
  • supersonic
    gradually if the weight will slowly come down anyway?

But the weight ain't coming down much ;-). Unless you got the carbon bars, you've just put a 315g DH bar on there. The saddle will be lighter, but the seatpost barely will be. All that money could have been put towards a new RS Reba fork, or some lighter wheels that would make much more difference overall.

But there are many ways of doing this - changing part by part for things that aren't making much difference is an expensive road to just a fancy looking bike. Though granted you like the new shape of the bars and stem, but there are lighter, cheaper offerings about.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Jeezo ! 750mm bars ! Theres some pretty tight lines on the trails I ride and I couldnt fit them between the tree trunks :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It does seem a strange way to do it, and to be honest the Hope stuff is just bling with no function benefit, but if that is what OllyG enjoys, it's his bike!

But yes, he's probably added about 2-300g so far.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.