Price of tyres

lornt78
lornt78 Posts: 37
edited July 2013 in MTB general
What is going on with the price of tyres?

I've been using Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1 tyres for the last few years and the price is now literally DOUBLE what it used to be.

Is there some kind of economic phenomenon going here? Price rise in the cost of raw materials perhaps, or has skidding become really popular thus increasing demand?

I've looked into switching to a different type of tyre but there doesn't appear to be any better alternatives.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Panracer Rampage, folding, £18, probably better than Nevegals. Almost identical tread pattern.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lornt78
    That's not tubeless. I'm lead to believe tubeless tyres need the UST bead otherwise they burp.
  • lornt78
    Been going online to buy tyres for ages now but just can't believe the prices. My back tyre's worn bang thin and I'm just letting the stan's plug any holes. At this rate I'm going to have to start putting back on old used tyres I have lying about.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lornt78 wrote:
    At this rate I'm going to have to start putting back on old used tyres I have lying about.
    My heart bleeds for your first world problems.
    I've not noticed any real price change, good or bad in the ones I use though. Where are you buying them from?
  • lornt78
    I'm not buying any at today's prices. They used to cost £16.50 including postage off ebay, so don't talk to me about "no real price change".
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ah, ebay. So, not the going rate as such then, you just found a cracking deal that's not around any more.
    Check out the German mail order sites.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    lornt78 wrote:
    That's not tubeless. I'm lead to believe tubeless tyres need the UST bead otherwise they burp.

You are led to believe wrongly. (though, Panaracers are usually like a wizard's sleeve and not very good for tubeless). Standard Nevegal works great tubeless ime, I've used loads- ironically the UST ones I tried were pretty crappy, harder compound and stiffer. UST tyres tend to be a fair bit more expensive. Tubeless ready is a good halfway option but I've had very few non-tubeless tyres that didn't work well. Worth a look at Specialized Control range, some excellent tyres and all tubeless ready.

UST can go up more easily sometimes, and in theory can be used without sealant (though obviously if you puncture, you'll regret that). And they can be tougher- I see them as a bit like dualplies, some people will benefit but for most people they're not a good choice.

(I think right now across 4 bikes I have 2 tubeless ready tyres, no USTs, and 6 standard tyres run tubeless, all spot on)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lornt78
    Looks like I'll have to employ a bit of third-world style ingenuity then.