Motivation gone . . . .? !

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,
It will be two weeks tommorow since I have been out on the bike, I just don't know we're my motivation has gone, two weeks ago I bought new wheels, went clipless, bought some new kit, and was over the moon with my upgrades, but since then I don't understand what's happened, I'm off work for three weeks now aswell, so should be eager to get out,
But it's not happening at the moment :(
The only slight idea or thought I have is that maybe in the back of my mind I am still very warey of been clip less, and
Going out on my own, and having an off or accident if I choose a different route to my usual loop.
I don't know, it's pi##in# me off now.
Any ideas anyone, or has anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks

Tony.

Comments

• dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Have a look for a local riding club.
    Most are pretty good and will help you out.

Or just go put your gear on and go. Don't think about it.
    I had a slump once. Just got on the bike and loved it again.
  • Toe knee
    Thanks for that dan,

Will try and give it a go.

Oh and my brother lives by hunters bar in Sheffield, great city, visited many times.
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    I find the easiest way to go is to just get up, eat put your kit on and out the door, once you're out there its no problem, sometimes just getting out the door is the problem.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    It's a question of doing one ride and you will be away. Why not try using the bike as a means of getting somewhere? (work/shops/pub) - treat it as as something pleasant and relaxed rather than exercise
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Instead of venturing far, why not just do some local loops so you're never more than a mile from home. That way you'll know the roads, know when a junction is coming up etc. One ride and your confidence will be back I'm sure.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    I always found the hardest thing is getting out of the door - tell yourself if you are not enjoying it you can cut the ride short.

If you are looking for tangible benefits ,if not doing so already, use a GPS computer/ heart monitor to measure your progress.

There is a good suggestion above to find a club. Even if you don't wish to ride regularly they will have their favourite routes (often away from the traffic).

Buy an Ordnance Survey and for your area and look for interesting routes.

Discover and enjoy (?) the challenge of Strava.

But above all relax and enjoy yourself, as this is what will keep you coming back for more.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Set yourself a goal, aim to take part in a specific sportive on a particular date, write a training plan and tell your friends and family when it is and what time you are aiming for. Then go and do it.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    simonhead wrote:
    Set yourself a goal, aim to take part in a specific sportive on a particular date, write a training plan and tell your friends and family when it is and what time you are aiming for. Then go and do it.

Having a goal is a really good idea, gives you something to work towards, once you get out a few times I'm sure the motivation will come back.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Toe knee
    Thank you all for your answers and support, much appreciated. :D

Thanks
    Tony.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    simonhead wrote:

This. ear of embarrassment is an excellent motivator. My target was the Manchester to Blackpool. I was one of the first booked when it opened. It did leave a feeling of no point just after the event, so I am now looking for another target.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    DHTT wrote:
    I find the easiest way to go is to just get up, eat put your kit on and out the door, once you're out there its no problem, sometimes just getting out the door is the problem.

So true. When the TdF was on, it was too easy for me to do other stuff when I got up and then use the excuse 'no point going out, I can only do a short ride without missing the start of the tour.'

I got over that, I had a sportive on the penultimate day of the tour so I was doing some pretty heavy training the week leading up to that. I've carried that on, with my mind considering a century ride in the autumn for charity and my bigger goal for next year.

Set a goal as others have said, and motivate yourself to prepare for it in a way which works for you. I use the goal I've set to get me out the door and to push me up every hill .
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I know the feeling . Was building up confidence and competence and enjoying being out at every opportunity. Then bad off and now sitting at home with arm in sling dosed up on painkillers after shoulder reconstruction. Will be off the bike for at least 6 weeks and wondering whether I ever want to do it again and risk the trauma of the last two weeks
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I'm back off my hols now Tony so if you fancy getting out for a ride just send me a text.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    I'm out and about most weekends if you need someone fat and slow to up your confidence a bit?!?
  • Toe knee
    Thanks ringo and davecara,

I'm off to York for a couple of days tommorow, will get in touch when I return, thanks lads, dave you sound like you could be my twin :D

Thanks
    Tony. :D
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I am very much in the same mindset as the OP atm.
    I had a chest infection that stopped me cycling for 2 weeks and then I was away for a week and came back with an infection on my right leg that made it difficult to walk let alone ride.
    However I finally feel fit enough to get back on the bike but I am just putting it off.

I just need a kick up the arse and a good injection of mtfu and I will be fine but its getting it from somewhere.
    I have ridden twice in 5 weeks (the 2 days before my holiday as the chest infection had started to lift)
    The other thing is since cycling in April I have had 3 chest infections and I honestly think its because of the cycling I am getting them.

I have currently got a single plan and that is on the 1st of August I am going to ride a minimum of 500 miles in the month.
    If I am successful I will be buying myself a road bike as I am currently on my hybrid bike still but my better half said I am not allowed a road bike because I don't use my current bike enough.

I seriously need people to ride with.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    It's normal to feel lazy. Instinctively your body wants to save as much energy as possible. Once you get out, the endorphins and adrenaline mask the unpleasantness and pain of exercise, and makes you feel good. It's just getting out the door that's the issue for me.

I try to plan my rides a few days in advance around my expected free time, and psychologically commit to doing it. It's quite easy to commit if the ride is several days away, then when the day comes I'm stuck with the plan. Sounds stupid, it's just the mind-games I play. If I really don't want to go I make a deal with myself - "Just go for a few miles", "Just take it real easy, no need to push yourself", or "How will you feel tonight when all you've done is sit on your backside?". Then once I'm out it's all fine and I go for it.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    You could try to actually go somewhere rather than just going out for the sake of a ride. Try going to a national trust property, or to a different town where there's a bike shop to browse round. With a destination in mind you might find yourself more motivated to go there.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Agreed in that getting out of the door is the hard bit, once you're on the ride it's never an issue.

I often go riding in the morning before work. But I have to decide if I'm going out the next day the night before, when I'm tired. Then I have to get out of bed, when I'm tired. It's rarely easy, but once I'm out on the bike all that falls away and I'm just on my ride :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    We all get some dips in enthusiasm from time to time and folks deal with it in different ways (there was a thread about a year ago in the Cake Stop by the BR chaps).

I like the idea of a target (as suggested), but most of all I like keeping cycling fresh by mixing it up. It's great to have an audax or two in the diary, and the odd sportive, a couple of club rides sorted, some hard training rides...and the odd ride where you put nice kit/sunglasses on, leave the computer at home and just bimble around a nice flat route feeling great and ignoring the actual stats. The diverse and rich countryside we are lucky to have is fantastic and cycling is just about the right pace to enjoy it, whatever that pace is :)