Front derailleur & 105 shifters

monkeyeatsps3
monkeyeatsps3 Posts: 46
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
So I brought some 105 shifters and installed them today.
The rear derailleur is shifting amazingly! ( first time using dual control levers) but the front derailleur is almost impossible to shift into the higher gear, I have to use so much force and when I down shift it seems to release a lot of tension. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The cable is routed the wrong side of the clamp. It shouldn't make a difference but it does. Drop to the smaller ring, undo the cable clamp and put the cable the other side of the thread then re tighten.
  • Is this correct?
    rKqAWNf.jpg
  • Hi,

I'm not great with all of this but did have a similar problem last week and am hoping you're not going to experience the same fate as me. Have you got the 105 5600 shifters by any chance? If so, then be careful!!

Basically, the 5600 shifter is exactly the same weather you have a compact or triple - something which was a mistake by Shimano as they later released 5601 (for doubles) and 5603 (for triples) - I don't know the technical side of it but the 5600 didn't work well with doubles and usually ended up breaking. When I got my roadie (second hand) it shifted fine, but like you, required a bit of force to shift) - in the end it would shift over but wouldn't click and hold the derailluer in place (something inside the shifter had broken!)

End result is that I needed a new LH shifter, they cannot be repaired and Shimano only sell new ones in pairs... £250!!!!

BUT

Chain reaction do sell brand new 5601 or 5603 LH shifters for £70 inc P&P & my LBS charged £20 to fit it.

Still a pricy thing, but more affordable than £250. From what I know, it's a bit of a common fault with this particular version of the 105's so if you have got the same gear as me, I'd suggest speaking to your LBS for advice before your shifter breaks too.

Hope this helps.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That doesn't look like a 105 front mech?
  • Luckily they are 5700 shifters! I looked at some review of the 5600 and decided to stay away from them.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is this correct?
    rKqAWNf.jpg
    Can't view images at work, but for the sake of 5 minutes with an Allen Key I'd give it a go the other way round and see. I've done it myself on an Ultegra front mech - it was almost impossible to shift until I ran the cable the other side of the clamp bolt.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    keef66 wrote:

Agreed. that isn't what my 105 front mech looks like.

Edit: actually the OP doesn't say he has a 105 front mech, what is it? it could be the source of the problem
  • monkeyeatsps3
    monkeyeatsps3 Posts: 46
    edited July 2013
    The derailleur is the original on my bike, I've upgraded the rear mech and shifters. Might it be down to the front mech not being compatible?
  • Wish I had done more research! Saw the bike had 105 and was happy enough and then the shifter broke! At least it's fixed now. Got the 5601 on and it runs like a dream again!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Seems your deraileur is at a bad angle anyway, Should be parallel with the chain.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    So can someone answer if the cable is on the correct side of the cable clamp, ie should it be on the inside like in the picture or the outside of the nut?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    binkybike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Agreed. that isn't what my 105 front mech looks like.

Edit: actually the OP doesn't say he has a 105 front mech, what is it? it could be the source of the problem

The majority of modern or recent front mechs will be compatible, as they mostly have the same pull ratio anyway...
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It wants to route over the little black lump that you've gone under.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Download yourself a copy of the DM-GN0001-08-ENG.pdf covers setup of front derailleur on page 33.
    You need to identify which FD you have and locate the appropriate Series Service Instruction PDF from the page linked below.

http://si.shimano.com/
  • +1 salsa.

Also, is it a new cable? If there is a kink in the cable, it might not be pulling or releasing the cable correctly. It could also be if the outer (the part the cable goes through) is old that it could be catching somewhere.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.