Tape/simiular for fitting lights

aligibbs
aligibbs Posts: 12
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

So I bought some lights for my road/mtb last winter and used them all winter, no problems. Coming up to autumn now, and can I find the bits of plastic which meant they fitted nicely onto my handlebars? Nope. Is there some kind of thick tape or something I could use instead?

Thanks all!

Alistair

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Depends what lights they are. I snapped the carriage for one of my lights (Exposure Flare front) and used a couple of cable ties until the replacement arrived. Worked OK for the week but not really a long term fix. You can often pick up replacements fairly cheaply on ebay etc.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • aligibbs
    Sorry, I dont think I was descriptive enough. The light fitting are find, but they came with some spongey rubbery stuff, which you could put on/off, to increase the depth of the fitting. As I have lost these, my handlebars are too narrow for the maximum tightness on my lights. Hence I need something to "bulk" my handlebars out. Tempted to use some bar tape....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In similar circumstances I have successfully used a bit of old innertube. Bar tape like the stuff on my bars at the moment would I think be too spongy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for a few wraps of old innertube.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    aligibbs wrote:
    Coming up to autumn now

Thanks for that thought :( - can we not just enjoy the sunshine and blindly forget that summer wont be here very long? :wink:
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • aligibbs
    Schoie81 wrote:
    aligibbs wrote:
    Coming up to autumn now

Thanks for that thought :( - can we not just enjoy the sunshine and blindly forget that summer wont be here very long? :wink:

Sorry, but I cycled home at midnight the other day and needed my lights ;)
  • Pipe cladding, the grey stuff that you use to insulate boiler pipes and the like.