1st Proper Ride...

dwaynemaxi
dwaynemaxi Posts: 22
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

Well yesterday my Endura Bib Shorts came, so did my helmet and gloves so I decided it was time to hit the road :D downloaded Strava which is a great motivator because you can see everyone elses performances in your area too!

Went off at a comfortable speed not trying to over-do it, managed 16km so I was quite happy with that for a first outing, think the seat needs a slight adjustment tho because I don't want to be walking like John Wayne forever :lol: nah seriously it werent that bad but could have been a bit more comfy. I think Im going to get some of that 'feels like someones blowing cold air on your bum' cream just for the thrill of it 8)

Comments

• awginger
    awginger Posts: 23
    I found the 1st ride was all it took to get me hooked!

I'm constantly wanting to go out more and further, unfortunately spare time (busy job and 2 small children) availability restricts me somewhat at the moment though!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Nice one - you've got out - aim for 20 KM next time :-)

Don't worry too much about discomfort just now, though if it is painful you may need to have a think about things. First couple of rides and your position will change a little, you'll relax more and won't feel it as much.

Seat height should see your legs not quite fully extending at the bottom of the pedal stroke. If you are conscious of hip rocking, it's too high.

Then once you have a few rides in, it will be figuring out exactly what fits for you, and maybe running through a few saddles to work out what suits you.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    dwaynemaxi wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Well yesterday my Endura Bib Shorts came, so did my helmet and gloves so I decided it was time to hit the road :D downloaded Strava which is a great motivator because you can see everyone elses performances in your area too!

Went off at a comfortable speed not trying to over-do it, managed 16km so I was quite happy with that for a first outing, think the seat needs a slight adjustment tho because I don't want to be walking like John Wayne forever :lol: nah seriously it werent that bad but could have been a bit more comfy. I think Im going to get some of that 'feels like someones blowing cold air on your bum' cream just for the thrill of it 8)

Hi and Welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!

As above - Wouldn't worry about seat comfort yet. My Charge Spoon is an absolute blessing compared to some expensive saddles BUT it wasn't like that for the first 10 days. Takes a while for body, bum and seat to settle and become one. If in two-three weeks time (regular riding) or after around 10-15 good steady rides your a*se is still giving you grief then maybe look at a new seat. And I'd recomend the Charge for cheap but Comfort - though obviously everyone rear ends are different.

The bum cream is nice - I use udderly smooth - but I wouldn't go slapping it on just yet, let your bum and knackers get comfortable riding without first, problem is if you slap cream on for every short/long ride from the start then your skin will possible never adjust and evolve to the standard discomfort of riding without. It pays to reserve the cream just for those longer, more uncomfortable rides where your bollox will thank youf or it!

oh, and one other thing: Get yourself a new credit card - you might find in a few weeks you will need it! :wink:

And 16km is pretty good for a first ride out. I went hell for leather when I first got a roadie and I was 69kg and though I was fit. I died after about 10km.
  • dwaynemaxi
    dwaynemaxi Posts: 22
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I think I have the saddle at the lowest in can possibly go lol, I am not the ideal shape for a cyclist, 5'6ft and 91Kg. I will have a look at how much my legs are actually extending through a full circle. Next ride out should hopefully be Sat morning and I will be aiming for 20km minimum.

I will keep going out on rides and trying out little adjustments, see what differences they make, learning as I go along. :) I know I need to let my bum toughen up and bed into the saddle and get use to the pain.

I will hold off getting the bum cream for the minute, I think I just liked the idea of someone blowing me whilst I rode around! But it makes sense to go through the pain first to understand the effects of the cream.

Lol I have noticed how easy it is to spend £££ on cycling 'must have' stuff, as soon as I log on I start looking at more and more goodies. Luckily I am naturally a fairly tight bugger so hopefully I wont spunk all my money away but the temptation is definitely there!

Thanks for encouraging words guys, I already love my bike more than my other half but please dont tell her, I know im addicted to cycling after 1 ride!
  • pidy
    pidy Posts: 24
    Well done mate.

It won't take long at all for your muscles to get used to cycling but I will add that a rest day every other day is just as important when starting off. Your bum also needs time to get used to the wedge your sitting on and don't make the same mistake as I did first off and wear underwear under your shorts.

Keep it up and your notice the gains in no time at all