New bike and gears catching?

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Just took delivery of my new red Triban 3 and took it out for its maiden voyage tonight. Works well and is a nice bike but when the chain is on the largest chain ring at the front and the smallest two at the back the chain is catching the front derailleur.

Is it normal for a new bike to need adjustment? I can't really take it back to a store as I live in Durham and the nearest one is Sheffield!

Would a lbs be willing to do the work even though I didn't get it from them, and how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks.

Comments

• Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    LBS will adjust for you no problem, especially in a friendly place like Durham; however, best way is learn to adjust yourself - you may need to adjust the limit screw and / or adjust the cable tension using the in-line adjuster next to the lever. Look on YouTube - loads of videos to help.

Decathlon should have set it up correctly but a LBS will definitely help - even Halfords would do this one for you!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    An easy job as said above - and one that every cyclist should look to lea[rn.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    It is also normal for gears to need a little adjusting when the cables are new - a little use will stretch the cable.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Definitely agree on learning to do it yourself. YouTube is excellent and once you know how to adjust it yourself, you'll be so glad you didn't waste your time going to a shop to get someone to do it for you. I had problems with mine not shifting properly last week, one YouTube view and with the adjusting instructions for reference I spent 5-10mins sorting it out on Monday, and it now shifts like a dream and runs nice and quietly.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • cattytown
    Indeed. Unless you live in a flat over the LBS, the time taken to learn to do it the first time is probably going to be less than the time to take it to the shop.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Had the rear cassette changed as I wanted some easier gears for going up hills (11-28t) and asked if gears could be sorted. Picked it up at almost closing time and took it home.

Tried it and when on the smallest cog at the back and largest at the front the chain is still catching the front derailleur. Tried adjusting the cable myself using an Allen key to tighten it' then loosening it to try and get it right- result being it's now worse than when I picked it up. Pain in the bum.

What are the chances the bike shop will correct it for nothing or will they charge me given that it wasn't quite right when I picked it up? How much are they likely to charge to adjust them?
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Running the chain large-large will always rub on the FD, it's impossible to avoid with correctly set gears. If you adjust the front to stop it happening, chances are you won't be able to shift on to the big ring any more.

Avoid the large-large and small-small combinations, it's not good for the chain to run those extremes anyway.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • That's the thing - it's catching when the SMALLEST cog at the back and the LARGEST at the front.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Ah, post-reading fail :)

FD needs upper limit screw adjusting so the cage goes a bit further out.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • To adjust your gears (cogs drive mills...) It's a 3min adjust maximum, I did my daughters on Saturday and it took less than 1min.

Youtube guides are great for this. Just take your time and don't adjust too much before going through the gears to see the effect. As your cables stretch you'll need to learn how to do it anyway.
  • cattytown
    You don't normally need the allen keys for a quick adjust.

Get the bike on a workstand or upside down so you can turn the pedals. Work out which cable operates the front deraillieur. While turning the pedals, change the rear to the smallest cog, and pull on the inner for the front shifter and see if it changes to the large chainring, and if it goes our far enough to be quiet.

If it does, look for a barrel adjuster and tighten it a little, then try the shift using the levers. Tighten the adjuster until the gears go quiet. Then change to somewhere in the middle on the back and operate the front shifters up/down to make sure you can do the changes OK.

If pulling the cable doesn't change gear, or move it far enough to be quiet then you can thing about the limit screws. You need to be careful with the limits as allowing too much movement can lead to the chain coming off.

Gear trims is something all riders need to be able to do.

Watch the adjustment videos on youtube, or book on a cycle maintenance course. Whereabouts are you?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • arranj
    arranj Posts: 66
    I have the same with my Triban 5, had endless troubles with their setup from the go unfortunately.

Had a blow out due to tyre not seated properly (my fault for not checking), gear indexing is terrible, so I got a free service to get it sorted, albeit not a convenient location as stores are miles from me.

Would have probably been cheaper for me to just take it to my lbs!! but I've got £25 voucher with them now, so I'll be using that and never going back hopefully!
  • cattytown
    Always remember that from new gear cables will stretch. So it is normal for a new bike to quickly drift off on the indexing. If the cables are manually stretched it can reduce the effect but is unlikely to eliminate completely.

Over time, it is normal to need the odd little trim as the cable will almost certainly continue to stretch.

Trimming the gears is one of the basic jobs a cyclist really needs to learn - a little like car drivers should know how to check the oil, tyres and screenwash.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Dropped the bike off and they said they would sort gears out. There wasn't any rubbing of chain against the front derailleur on the stand but there was under load when pedalling. Mechanic wasn't sure why. I've left it with them and hope to pick it up at 5 fully working. They also mentioned bottom bracket was loose so they have fixed/tightened that.

Really beginning to wish I had paid a bit more from a local bike shop rather than mail ordered my Triban 3 :(
  • cattytown
    BB loose and chain rub under load. I wonder if the two might conceivably be related...
    Giant Defy 2
  • Yes, but it still was rubbing slightly even after it was tightened. Anyway, got it back now. There was still a very slight rubbing despite him trying to get it perfect but much improved.

Got it home, and yes, I know you will all be disgusted, but I actually used the claw bit of a claw hammer to pull the derailleur out a tiny fraction. The result being that the gears work perfectly now.

Moral of the story - if you can't fix it abuse it with a hammer ;)

I obviously don't condone this but frustration can make you do daft things. Fortunately it worked for me... this time.