Advice please hardtail or full suspension?

lisalouise73
lisalouise73 Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
As a newby to mountain biking- i need some help-
Which do I choose, and why?

Hardtail?
Full suspension?

I'm looking at beginners mountain biking, but don't want to end up with something that won't do what i need six months down the line.

Comments

• Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    What budget do you have and what riding do you intend on doing?

There is am MTB buyers guide on the forum, to save you reading it, the best budget beginners bike is the Rockrider 8.1 or Voodoo Hoodoo.
  • All depends on where you intend ride and your budget.

Although in general, I wouldn't suggest a full-suss for a first bike.
    (as most people don't have the budget required for a decent one when looking at a first bike)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I was in a similar position a few years ago when I really got into mountain biking but had no choice as the only bike I had was a fairly low specced HT. Now i have both a FS and a HT but I am really glad that I rode for the first 9 months on a HT as it helped me develop the core and underlying skills that allows me to be a better rider now.

On a HT you really get a feel for the whole bike, especially for what the back end is doing. Yes they are less forgiving i.e. you may 'hit' what a FS would normally roll over, but that is all part of the learning process. Going back to my HT after riding my FS for a few rides is really fun now, and you realise how much easier they are to flick about on the trails.

So yea definitely start with a HT then move onto a FS once you have the basic skills dialled, or if you really love it (and have the money) get a FS as well as.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I still only have an HT, my knees are still coping despite me being nearly as old as Cooldad, my son has an FS (Scott RC20 link in sig) which I do appreciate the easier ride on, but overall I prefer the lighter/faster/more direct feel of an HT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have both but mainly ride the FS. No problems with knees, but it is more comfortable over slightly rough stuff, and my poor old body takes less of a battering.
    I do think that the "HT until your skills improve" is a load of BS.
    Buy a bike, ride, have fun.
    Saying that unless you spend quite a bit, you'll get a better HT on a budget, which will be more fun to ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I think that depends on your age and how much you want to improve your riding.....for old farts who arn't going to get any better then I'd agree (and no, that wasn't meant to mean anything!)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I think that depends on your age and how much you want to improve your riding.....for old farts who arn't going to get any better then I'd agree (and no, that wasn't meant to mean anything!)....

Nah im with Cooldad for once ;)
  • cooldad
    I'm touched.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    literally you were :twisted:
  • Test some :D

But my 2 pentathlon, my wife's just started and she didn't really get along with full sus, she likes my orange hard tail, she feels more in control

Now if you have some skills from when you had your old chopper or grifter, this could help with a straight move to a full sus.

But if your quite steady away I would say HT first then go for full sus

ONE THING though, how about a full sus, and just lock out the rear shock, then you have a hardball kind of hehe.

Just check the bike you choose has a lockable shock, as some don't,
  • cooldad
    Apart from your post being mainly word salad, the OP hasn't been back since the initial post., so I doubt she's listening.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Buy a bike. Have fun. It's your cash.
  • oxocube1 wrote:
    I was in a similar position a few years ago when I really got into mountain biking but had no choice as the only bike I had was a fairly low specced HT. Now i have both a FS and a HT but I am really glad that I rode for the first 9 months on a HT as it helped me develop the core and underlying skills that allows me to be a better rider now.

On a HT you really get a feel for the whole bike, especially for what the back end is doing. Yes they are less forgiving i.e. you may 'hit' what a FS would normally roll over, but that is all part of the learning process. Going back to my HT after riding my FS for a few rides is really fun now, and you realise how much easier they are to flick about on the trails.

So yea definitely start with a HT then move onto a FS once you have the basic skills dialled, or if you really love it (and have the money) get a FS as well as.

That's a bit frightened as it's exactly my experience too lol - even in terms of timings lol.

I'd say it depends on what you are riding. If you're doing a bit of road/firetrail/toe path with some cross country thrown in then hardtail all the way. The biggest difference for me is rooty trails, the back suspension really kicks in and from a confidence perspective I tend to take on a bit more with the FS - psychological no doubt...