Commuting

Radar13
Radar13 Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
New to the site. Im looking for a bike that will fit the purpose of a daily commute, only 8.4 round trip.

I have been looking at taking part in the cycle to work scheme but i am unable to join until September, however the cost of travelling to work in a month using public transport is roughly £140 (almost the same price as a very cheap hybrid bike at halfords, or would it not be worth my time buying a rubbish bike for the time being?) Any suggestions on a decent bike?

(http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2 that is the bike that may see me through the next month until september)

Thank you

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,539
    If you only want it for a short while before upgrading, go secondhand - you'll get a better return for your cash when you sell it.

You'll probably find you're happy with a £200 second hander for 17 miles a day anyway and then you can wait until you have more of an idea what you want from a bike before upgrading (and you'll have time to decide if commuting by bike is for you, especially as summer turns to autumn).
  • Radar13
    Sorry i think i worded it wrong, its only 4 miles to work and 4 miles back. So 8 miles in total, i suppose this is even more reason to buy a cheaper bike. The saving i make cycling to work is hopefully enough to make me stick with it through the poor weather

Thanks for the advise. I might have a look on ebay, i was looking at hybrids rather than road bikes, only because I sometimes go on canal pathways
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Subway or Triban 3.

If you live in a flat part of the world I'd get a second hand specialized langster, charge plug or a new vitus vee 1.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    I have a b'twin triban 3 (the red version with carbon forks) it is excellent value for money. In london you see a lot of GOOD cyclists using it for the daily commute.

Put on a pair of SKS chromoplastic mudguards and you have an all weather commuter.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Given you only have 2 months before you can join C2W, you are only doing a short commute and it is (fingers crossed) the dryest time of the year almost any bike will do. Even a second hand mountain bike with road tyres would work. Also worth finding out which type of C2W scheme your employer runs and who the supplier is. If the company gifts you the bike at the end of the agreement that is one thing but if you have to pay a lump sum to keep it you can often get something cheaper by shopping around and taking a 0% finance deal.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For 2x4 miles, anything will do the job. Make sure it fits and has sufficient low gears for any slopes.
    Dont stint of tyres, this is the no.1 cause of being late for work. With Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon + you will have a much better attendance record than most other commuters.
    Carry a basic repair kit inc spare inner tube.
    Wears gloves and helmet, both are for safety in the event of a spill.
    Lights are useful even in summer. Mudguards will keep you clean in the rain. You can get away with a backpack but eventually you will want a rear rack and panniers
    You don't need any special clothing and you don't need to ride fast and get sweaty.

The Subway is a great value short-range commuter.
    Avoid discount store Bike Shaped Objects
    If you go secondhand, get one that was decent when new.
    My local car boot sale usually has workable bikes for £30 that will get you riding now and give you enough experience to know what you want in a better bike.
    When buying commuter bikes, always think of your alt use, eg off-roading, fitness, club rides, touring, bulk shopping.
    Also consider your worst case riding situation. Winter snow riding is great fun but really needs wide clearance for knobbly or studded tyres.
  • Radar13
    Wow thank you for all the replies.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab4

Just seen this, i know the RRP is never the true value of the bike, but getting a brand new bike for that price seems reasonable. Or should i avoid?
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    As all have said before that bike would be perfect for your 8 mile a day commute and buying a new bike removes the problem of buying a pile of pooh from a used bike source.

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it and smile knowing that if you commute on it for 2 months it was free and you saved £80 to boot.