First DH rig

RedBaros
RedBaros Posts: 25
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, had a few bikes in mind but am thinking this year's bikes for next year. I'm still paying for my Cube AMS 125 pro which has been alright at Antur Stiniog but I know I'll kill it the more confident I get. I'm doing Revolution bike park next week, so I'll need to start thinking about a proper DH machine while I keep the Cube for Coed Y Brenin etc.

I was looking at the Nukeproof Pulse, Giant Glory, Santa Cruz V10 and Scott Gambler.

Which would you go for, and is there anything better/cheaper with good value for money?

(somewhere around the 2.5 - 3k range)

Comments

• Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Canyon Torque FRX. The whole range is under 3k. Good value for money.
  • If I had the money to buy one now, it would be a Mondraker Summum...

But, you can't go wrong with a Canyon FRX, YT Industries Tues or Rose Beefcake.
  • RedBaros
    Thanks guys I'll have a look at those now.

Any thoughts on the bikes I mentioned?
  • RedBaros
    Canyon is sexy as hell, could be a winner there!
  • RedBaros
    I think this is the winner at £1652. Can't beat that really can you for a first DH bike.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3058
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Canyon is ok but if you start racing it wont be up to the job. I know a couple people who bought them and struggled with them because of the rear suspension.
    If you buy German then the Rose is the one to go for. Not sure about the YT, I know a few people who bought them and none of them kept them very long.
    Giant Glory is really very good and so is the Pulse.
    The Pulse is better value than the Glory and to be honest I dont think you will get a new Glory under £4k. Its also worth looking at the Norco Aurum, very nice ride and very fast.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Its also worth looking at the Norco Aurum, very nice ride and very fast.

I was going to say this. Cheapest model at £1700 or something, not too bad at all. I reckon my next DH rig is going to be an aurum
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had a ride on one. Very easy to carry a lot of speed and it corners very well.
    I thought it was as good as the equivilent Nukeproof but Evans pre sales service was rubbish and my local Nukeproof shop spent loads of time with me making it feel right before I ordered it and the changed springs for free. If it wasnt for that I think I would have bought the Aurum.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I had a ride on one. Very easy to carry a lot of speed and it corners very well.
    I thought it was as good as the equivilent Nukeproof but Evans pre sales service was rubbish and my local Nukeproof shop spent loads of time with me making it feel right before I ordered it and the changed springs for free. If it wasnt for that I think I would have bought the Aurum.

The thing the tempts me is 0% finance :wink:

I've had a go on an aurum LE and it was awesome, but I havn't ridden many full DH rigs so... After I've built my hardtail I'll probally get one. Not LE, however.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Try to get a ride on a Scalp or Pulse (they feel the same to ride) They have a different character to the Aurum and are great DH race bikes, probably about the most popular choice in BDS races and for a good reason.
  • downhillbike
    downhillbike Posts: 115
    you should try the devinci wilson carbon its a great bike to ride
  • rockmonkeysc
    you should try the devinci wilson carbon its a great bike to ride

It really is good but not within the £2.5k - £3k budget the op set in his first post.
    I'm thinking that will be my next DH frame, sometime next year.
  • RedBaros
    edited July 2013
    The £1600 Canyons are sold out with only the £1900 version left. No finance available though which is a shame.

I'm only just getting into uplifts and proper DH runs now with the Cube, been mostly XC Coed Y Brenin before, so won't be thinking of racing any time soon anyway.

I'll have a look at the Aurum now.
  • 0% credit card.... Tesco have one with 0% for 18 months...
  • RedBaros
    0% credit card.... Tesco have one with 0% for 18 months...

Sounds like a plan! 8)

Wasn't a great review for the Aurum, mostly this bit about the forks...

The performance of the Domain R fork was uninspiring. It suffered spiking issues through high-speed compressions, and blew through the travel the rest of the time. The X-Fusion rear shock far outperformed the fork, working well and helping the rear end of the bike remain composed through everything we could throw it at.

....and the Canyon has Boxxers, so, reckon i'll be off down tesco then :D
  • Ahh yeah, he Domain R is crap (I haven't looked at the spec of the Aurum) The RC is much better, not the best but better than the Fox Van R that it replaced on my Canyon...

Assume you're looking at the FRX Rockzone? Spec wise its a bargain!
  • RedBaros
    No the whipzone world cup with van rc.

Is that rear shock worth the extra few hundred?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Domain R can be upgraded to RC spec for about £50 and it transforms the fork.
    The Canyon may have better components for the money but the frame is nowhere near as good as the Aurum. The back end is a bit flexy and you just have to work too hard to ride it fast.
  • RedBaros
    Bit more searching done...Norco Aurum 2 is similarly priced to the Giant Glory 1 at around 2.5k

How would they compare?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Spec is slightly better on the Glory and Giant give a much better warranty. I would get the Glory
  • RedBaros
    Yeah I'm kinda sold on the Giant now tbh.

Just done Revolution bike park yesterday which was heavy going, slippery and muddy on the two blacks but still a great day out, learned a lot going through some very technical parts, crashed at least 20 times, hit a tree, lost control and somehow jumped into a bush not really sure what happened there, sliding all over the place but no injuries they were mostly little ones. Hamburger Hill!
    Did ok with my XC Cube but wont try it again until I get the Giant. I'll stick to Antur Stiniog in the meantime, not quite as hectic there!
    Might have to wait until next year though before I can afford it.
  • RedBaros
    Instead of the Giant, it looks like I'm now going for a 2010 Norco Team dh.

Good bike?!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've noticed that the CR vitus bikes are now seriously reduced, if you want a starter DH rig and not spend a fortune....

The dominer 2 is £999 and this one is £1600 ish.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... -prod84768
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    I may be wrong but I believe thats the bike which shares a frame with the Identiti Mogul which is a terrible frame. It flexes badly, has ropey rear suspension and just doesn't ride at all well.
    Like I said I may be wrong but I know there is another bike which uses that frame and that does look like it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The 2010 Norco team DH is alright, the new Aurum is great if you can get one though.

And yeah, that Vitus does look like an Identiti, and they've not had great reviews.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • RedBaros
    The 2010 Norco seems to be the best deal I can find for the price and spec, good reviews too.
    There's a Knolly Podium for 2k which looks amazing but £400 more which i can't really do.

The Aurum's a nice bike but only seems to be available with Evans at 100 a month.
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    The Saracen Myst is very popular with privateer races for good reason. I love mine
  • RedBaros
    appy wrote:
    The Saracen Myst is very popular with privateer races for good reason. I love mine

Funny you said that, I was all set on the Norco but have just seen a deal I might be able to manage for a Myst!

Which one do you have?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mysts are really nice. Quality frame.