Pedal thread advice needed

RFDD
RFDD Posts: 41
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I've an old set of SPDs which I attempted to fit to my commuting bike last night. The thread on them appears okay and starts turning by hand no problem, but at about half way in it gets stuck. I'm reluctant to use a tool and force it past this point for fear of damaging the crank. I've tried the pedal on my other bike and the same problem occurs, so it's definitely the pedal thread not the crank which is causing the problem. Does this mean the pedal thread is screwed and only good for the bin, or can these pedals be saved?

Cheers
R

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Very unusual for a pedal thread to get damaged because it's made of a very tough material. But if it is, you just need to examine the thread carefully. Compare it to another of the same hand. If you see damage then the best way is run a die along it which if you have to buy one could be expensive. Or get a small knife file to reshape it. An LBS may be able to help or an engineering work shop or shop. Try another pedal in the crank to check the crank is ok.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    First thing is to give the threads a good scrub with a stiff brush.

Then give them another try with a little grease on them.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • trappy666
    trappy666 Posts: 39
    cattytown wrote:
    First thing is to give the threads a good scrub with a stiff brush.

Then give them another try with a little grease on them.

Paul.

+1 Give the threads a good clean, take a close look at the thread to see if it is damaged in any way. Just remember, never go tighter than two grunts and a groan!! :wink: