New tires for my Trek 6500

chichil
chichil Posts: 12
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello!

I’m French and I hope I’ll not make too much mistake so you can understand me correctly (don’t hesitate to correct me).

I try to find new tires for my Trek 6500 (2012).

I need a rear tire with a good traction and a front tire that grip the most possible, especially in the turns.
It’s for cross country ridings in different kind of trails (but not too much muddy).

I made some researches and found these ones:
- Specialized Ground Control
- Continental Mountain King
- Maxxis Ardent
- Maxxis High Roller (II)
- Panaracer Fire XC Pro
- Panaracer Smoke

On French forum they talk about the Hutchinson Toro, but on English website this tire doesn’t seem to be appreciate that much...

What do you think? What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Luc

Comments

• plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I always had fire xc pro, loved them, they are very highly rated. Only reason I don't have them now is I can only find them in 29" in the USA. So they would be my choice, front and back, they are not too wide so they do carry plenty speed. They are an old and trusted design, plenty reviews about them if you search around.

I have heard good remarks about the others you mention but can't comment as I never owned any.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • chichil
    The only problem with Ground Control is that is seems to be the most difficult one to find in the list a gave above...

With the Maxxis High Roller II there is another problem, I can't find it in 26X2.30 on French website, only in 26X2.40.

So I think I'll forget these 2 models.

Remain in my selection:
    - Continental Mountain King II
    - Maxxis Ardent
    - Maxxis High Roller I
    - Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    - Panaracer Smoke
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I ride, and really like the Continental Mountain King II tyres, I have them in the Black chilli, 2.2" ProTection version.

However, it is worth explaining that although these tyres are very good in almost all terrain, when they are bad, they are very bad!
    I hope that makes sense.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    On one smorgasbord trail extremes are brilliant, cheap, light-ish, and grippy as hell. Would recommend them.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Oh and are half price at the moment!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X22 ... 6x225_tyre
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Many people have said that Maxxis ignitors are excellent tyres for any terrain. I've just put one on the front of my bike, I'll let you know how it works in a week or so.
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Lewis A wrote:
    Oh and are half price at the moment!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X22 ... 6x225_tyre

I'll second this. Great tyre at a very good price. Madness not to.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • chichil
    Ok.

First time I heard about this brand.
    Is there a review somewhere ?

About my list, the Smoke seems to be interresting for a rear tire. The best from my list ??

For the front I hestitate between the other...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dart obviously although I would have thought any reviews would be from 1000000000BC.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    chichil wrote:
    Ok.

First time I heard about this brand.
    Is there a review somewhere ?

About my list, the Smoke seems to be interresting for a rear tire. The best from my list ??

For the front I hestitate between the other...

Maxxis make tyres for on one. Plenty of user reviews online. Very good tyre at a cheap price.

Panaracer smoke............if they've got cream sidewalls then get them. They'll look quality (but not be very good).
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    chichil wrote:
    A long time ago, about 1995, Panaracer Smoke rear tyre and Panaracer Dart front tyre were the best anyone could get. They were very good, but Panaracer stopped making them about the turn of the century.
    They re introduced them about 4 years ago, and whilst they're still quite good tyres, I believe modern tyres beat them in almost every way.