Avid Juicy 3 intermittent lever movement

Survivalist13
Survivalist13 Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I've had a bit of an ongoing issue with my juicy 3s. Some times (often during a decent) the lever will go from normal behaviour (biting soon after the lever is pulled) to not biting until the level is much closer to the bar, in some cases I have pulled the level right up to the handlebar! This is most disconcerting. After a few pumps the brake returns to normal.

Initially this was occurring on the front brake and not the rear. I had the brakes bled and this appeared to fix the front but the rear soon started to have the same problem. I have since bought a bleed kit and I think the rear has been bled twice more to try to remedy the problem, in both cases a large amount of air appeared to come out (although I'm not sure how much is expected even if the system is well bled) and I could convince myself that the brake felt firmer, however the problem soon returned.

My thinking has been that the problem is caused by air moving around the system some how, and hence bleeding would solve it. I'm not sure what else could be causing it, could the seals need replacing? It's not exactly a very complicated arrangement. The brakes are maybe 3 years old. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The only similar issue I could find was with Juice Ultimates http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/avid-juicy-ultimate-intermittent-actuation-bleed-problem-464735.html

I'm going to try bleeding just the lever, to see if that helps.

Comments