Trough of Bowland

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
I've got a wedding Party Sat night in Gisburn nr Clitheroe. I'm planning on driving up from N Wales and would like to cycle the trough area. I'm looking at Gisburn -settle -Horton - selside -ingleton - where after? crossgill -abbey stead - Dunsop bridge - how many miles is this? Any advice on area appreciated, ideally I want a 5 hour ride

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Might be some good/mad ideas from this route (although you might have to be a bit late for the wedding to do the whole thing):

http://bowlandbadass.com/
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    My suggestion would be:

Gisburn
    Bolton by Bowland
    Holden
    Slaidburn
    Newton in Bowland
    Dundop Bridge
    Marshaw (first left turn after Trough and before road to Abbeystead)
    Street
    Oakenclough
    Chipping (cake stop)
    Whitewell
    Dunsop Bridge
    Newton in Bowland (Waddington Fell)
    Waddington
    West Bradford
    Sawley
    Bolton by Bowland
    Gisburn

That would be around 65 miles and 5000 ft climbing, if you wanted to extend it ignore the Marshaw turn carry on over Jubilee tower to Brow Top then south to Street or via Scorton.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    hi TC, was up there earlier this month , went by train from bangor and stayed with a mate in clitheroe, did a few days in the area, best climbs were cross o greet , from slaidburn to high bentham, turned to clapham and came back via settle and sawley. The trough of bowland is not a big climb, bit like sychnant pass,but very popular, tis a great area for cycling , many cafes, recommend, the country kitchen in waddington, nr clitheroe, also the dunsop bridge one.

a route that would be fairly rigourous but rewarding -- gisburn-bolton by bowland-sawley-grindleton-waddington--slaidburn-high bentham-clapham- you could then come back via grizedale forest, a long climb ,moorland route back to sawley--or use the quiet lanes via rathmell, back to bolton by bowland. tbh you can't really go wrong round there !1
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    cheers for replies will have a look at the map! Solis -what sort of time would that ride be? how long is a piece ......
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The Cross of Greet is my favourite climb up there - simply beautiful.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    T.C. wrote:
    cheers for replies will have a look at the map! Solis -what sort of time would that ride be? how long is a piece ......

For me by myself including a brew stop around 5 hours but I'm not particularly young or fit :cry:

Don't disagree re Cross of Greet, its a lovely climb but if you are after a route to give you more of a flavour of Bowland/Ribble Valley then I would consider mine.