New 160mm rotor. Suggestions please?

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have bent my avid elixir g3 cs 160 rotor on my avid elixir 5 brakes, so they now rub. I presume this cant be bent back, so am looking to replace it. I've seen a replacement on ebay for £12 which seems good. But is there a better, lighter rotor I could get instead. Current rotor is 101grams and as its a revolving component I'm guessing some weight gain may be worth it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I don't know anything about brake rotors. Many thanks, pete.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lighter ones have less metal and can cause issues with weird shapes. But the rotating mass is minor and close to the centre of the wheel, so doesn't make the same difference it would at the rim. I'd just get the cheap ones.
    A rotor is a rotor IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run a lightweight alligator (72g) at the rear but stick to a more regular disc at the front, most are good, better ones may be more warp resistant or may not.

Sometimes they can be bent back, sometimes not, if it has 'dished' (lay on a flat surface and the centre is not in line with the rim) due to getting very hot they are almost impossible to straighten as the dishing creates residual stresses. Always worth trying to bend back though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    A rotor is a rotor IMO.
    +Potato-ish.
    Avoid Hope floating ones, and avoid any curiously shaped ones. They can cause more problems than the none that they solve.
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    Thanks for all replies. I'm going to:
    1. Try and bend it back
    2. If that doesn't work, buy exactly the same rotor again for 12 quid.

thanks all. much appreciated. Pete
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.