Bont Vaypors??

Conorstreete
Conorstreete Posts: 45
edited July 2013 in Road general
Ordered myself a pair of bont vaypors in florescent yellow....haha..Anyone have a pair of these??They seem pretty good..Sole is really stiff compared to my shitty shimanos..What are they like anyways??And whats the heat molding like?

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You'll soon find out won't you?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • yess but they seem to be taking ever to arrive!! Slow LBS
  • They're an excellent shoe but take time to adjust to and dial in. The heat moulding process is easy but can take some experimentation to get right. I've re-moulded quite a few times. I've replaced the standard footbed with a Superfeet yellow. I've got quite unique feet, high arch and wide, so it might not take so much for you to get them how you like. However, patience has paid-off for me. They're proving very robust. I've used them everyday for almost a year now and there's nothing but minor superficial wear.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm like David. High arches and wide feet.

The baking process is easy, but make sure you have a good oven thermometer (not the digital display on the oven, but a standalone analogue one from a catering shop). I have baked mine once and can tell they fit me better now, however, I think I might need to do another iteration or fit after-market footbeds. I'll see what my bike fit, next week, says about it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    I have these & also in neon yellow!

The fit is superb, longest ride I've done in them is 124 miles & my feet felt as fresh as when I put them on.

You will also get lots of comments, they look great on, great on the bike & great in photos!

Although expensive you won't regret purchasing them & worth every penny for fit & looks
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I've just got my new Vaypor +, in 41.

Fit quite nicely from the off. Did the oven thing at 70'C, but I couldn't feel any give in the carbon sole or any change in the fit, even though the shoe felt pretty warm.

Did have Lake 331's but the BOA self destructed on me, looks like the warranty claim will take ages.

First ride on the Bont's this pm.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've been waiting on the Vaypour+ to, will be interesting to see how you get on. I really want the wide-fit ones, shame Merlin only have the standard fit in (and no plans to stock wide) :( Was planning to use them with Specialized insoles, are you sticking with what they come with?
  • Simonkc
    Simonkc Posts: 3
    I have the Vapour +, and to be honest they seem to be just awesome. I got them from Eden Cycles and took some advice from George there. They do need some thought when baking, and its important to make sure that they get hot enough. I left mine in the oven a little longer than recommended. Its important to give them a little squeeze near the carbon on the heel to check they have softened enough to conform to your feet. It may take a few tries to get the fit right, and when I tried mine on before moulding they felt awful. persevere though and trust the Bont sizing guide and they will be the best shoes you ever had. Honest!!
  • nferrar wrote:
    I've been waiting on the Vaypour+ to, will be interesting to see how you get on. I really want the wide-fit ones, shame Merlin only have the standard fit in (and no plans to stock wide) :( Was planning to use them with Specialized insoles, are you sticking with what they come with?

My feet are pretty wide and i went for standard..Tried a pair in a 45 but in white..They felt perfect...Ya i think i will stick with what it comes with for now..Do the footbeds make much diffrence?

thanks anyways for the comments lads!! seem to be a good choice i think...Should have mine by saturday:D DO they make much of a diffrence from plastic sole shoes also?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Had a good first ride in mine today - felt quite comfy, slight hotspot on occasions, but for a 1st ride, pretty good (as a comparison my Lake 331's felt awful on the 1st ride, but improved a lot later).

The oven thing didn't work for me - 20 mins at 70'C but I couldn't discern any movement in the carbon at all. Maybe I'll try again , 75'C for 25 mins,,?

Try Bont's sizing guide - I'm bang on a 41 (250mm long, 102mm wide foot), but borderline wide - I have standard fit, which already seem quite wide to me.

Nice and stiff and a touch lighter than the Lake's, 255g.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Had a good first ride in mine today - felt quite comfy, slight hotspot on occasions, but for a 1st ride, pretty good (as a comparison my Lake 331's felt awful on the 1st ride, but improved a lot later).

The oven thing didn't work for me - 20 mins at 70'C but I couldn't discern any movement in the carbon at all. Maybe I'll try again , 75'C for 25 mins,,?

Try Bont's sizing guide - I'm bang on a 41 (250mm long, 102mm wide foot), but borderline wide - I have standard fit, which already seem quite wide to me.

Nice and stiff and a touch lighter than the Lake's, 255g.

Might be obvious but did you preheat the oven?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd be a 45 but width is 110 which is on the upper edge of the standard fit, I think I'd be fine with summer cycling socks but the main reason I'm looking at changing from my current s-works is they're too tight with slightly thicker socks in spring/autumn, I quite like a fairly loose shoe to (as long as the foot isn't moving about).