Pulling out of the RL 100 ???

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
Not that I would wish it on anyone, but if the unforseen occurs I will gladly take a place.. obvs at a price
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The places are non-transferable, how do you intend to register?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • josame
    drlodge wrote:

Don't get technical with me pal ... :lol:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    josame wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

According to the official website:
    'you can nominate someone to collect your Rider Documents for you' 8)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    josame wrote:
    josame wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

According to the official website:
    'you can nominate someone to collect your Rider Documents (at the start) for you' 8)

Indeed, a friend of mine is registering for me, I've given him copies of my passport, driving license and a letter authorising him to collect my documents. I am sure some transfers will go on, but you'll need collusion from the original ticket owner I think.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    The ability to have somebody else collect your rider documents is totally different to being able to give your place to somebody else, which they aren't allowing.

If you try and register the named registration form as somebody else, they simply aren't going to allow it when at the Excel.

They have also requested a valid form of photographic ID so there is a chance that perhaps they are going to put a picture on your rider card, which you will likely hand in before entering the starting pen. If they do use the photograph, then if you are using somebody else's entry, they might spot it.

I'd imagine also from a legal and insurance point of view you could be in trouble, as you won't have signed the waiver so if something goes wrong you are no different to somebody trying to poach the course.
  • josame
    Rich_E wrote:
    The ability to have somebody else collect your rider documents is totally different to being able to give your place to somebody else, which they aren't allowing.

If you try and register the named registration form as somebody else, they simply aren't going to allow it when at the Excel.

They have also requested a valid form of photographic ID so there is a chance that perhaps they are going to put a picture on your rider card, which you will likely hand in before entering the starting pen. If they do use the photograph, then if you are using somebody else's entry, they might spot it.

I'd imagine also from a legal and insurance point of view you could be in trouble, as you won't have signed the waiver so if something goes wrong you are no different to somebody trying to poach the course.

Imagine, if you will, that there was no concievable outlet for your comments... the world would be a tincy wincy happier place to live :wink: also you have quite a few 'ifs and maybe's in the above so I'll let it slide...
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Sorry but there is a very good reason why we are firmly discouraged from transferring places which is to prevent touts from selling these places on and vastly inflating the future cost of our entry. There is also the risk that both parties if caught can be disqualified from entering other sporting events such as this.

Personally if I had to pull out, I would rather take the hit on my enter fee knowing that there was a confirmed place available under the current arrangements next year!
  • josame
    Stedman wrote:
    Sorry but there is a very good reason why we are firmly discouraged from transferring places which is to prevent touts from selling these places on and vastly inflating the future cost of our entry. There is also the risk that both parties if caught can be disqualified from entering other sporting events such as this.

Personally if I had to pull out, I would rather take the hit on my enter fee knowing that there was a confirmed place available under the current arrangements next year!

No need to apologise.. it appears that on the face of it (photocards being unlikley) that the loop hole already exists..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stedman wrote:

+1

Anyone who really wanted to ride would have entered the ballot or got a charity place.
    Would not be surprised if there were still charity places left.

Hope they get tough on people trying to cheat so that it dissuades people from trying next year :wink:
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    josame wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

Imagine, if you will, that there was no concievable outlet for your comments... the world would be a tincy wincy happier place to live :wink: also you have quite a few 'ifs and maybe's in the above so I'll let it slide...

No need to slyly insult me, I'm just trying to point out what is very likely.

I can't say I've ever done a sportive before where they have asked me to prove who I am with a Passport or Driving Licence, as the only forms of permissible ID.

As per the final instructions:

Please ensure your body number is displayed clearly before entering your Wave Loading Zone and that you have your rider card with you, as you will be required to hand this in as you enter the pens.

If the rider card doesn't contain any specific ID, especially a photo, then yes maybe you can get away with it.

Finding somebody willing to sell a spot and you taking that risk is the challenge. Given that people can defer to next year, if they are injured or unfit, I would think the only people selling are those who totally signed up on a whim. But even then, once allocated your place, you then had the option of whether to commit and pay the fee or not.

Odds are stacked against you is all.
  • josame
    ^ apologies re sly insult
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    Do people get away with taking the place of others in the London Marathon?

If not, and I've never heard of this happening, then I suspect the same will be true here. It being organised by the same people with no doubt a lot of common process.