n00b scared of the mud

thegreatpoobarr
thegreatpoobarr Posts: 32
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Went bike shopping last week and managed to, sort of accidently, buy myself a mountain bike. At moment it's only going to be used for the quick 1 mile commute to work, until I can get myself bike fit (and get shot of this sore arse) and then who knows what. In the meantime however I'm going to need some mudguards to prevent me arriving at work covered in road spray. In a perfect world these mudguards would have full coverage, in reality though it's going to be as much coverage as I can manage.

So, suggest away.

The bike's a Saracen Kili Cromo 2 BTW, and I know it's not as awesome as anything you lot have but I've completely fallen in love with it. :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For commuting get a 'beavertail' or similar as it comes down the back of the seat tube stopping the rear of your legs getting wet, it clips round the seat tube and bolts to the cross stay on the seatstays (if you have one with a hole!)
    The matching front is good as well as it is self supporting, many lower end forks have a hole there or boss you can use.

Crud catchers are good offroad, but not ideal for commuting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I know I'm being a bit of a PITA but can you give me a link to a set of beavertails you'd recommend please? There seems to be a few to choose from. I don't think I've got any holes in the seatstays (I'll check to be sure) and I'm almost certain the forks aren't drilled either (rock shox recon gold TK).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Recon golds may not have a suitable hole/boss, in which case a downtube crud catcher and/or a mucknutz mini guard at the front.

Beavertail style
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210163

Mounting hole isn't in the seatstays but in the cross bridge (where a roadbike rear brake calliper would mount).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Mounting hole isn't in the seatstays but in the cross bridge (where a roadbike rear brake calliper would mount).

Gotcha! Just checked and there is some holes on it, 2 facing the tyre and 1 facing the opposite direction (towards the rest of the frame). I'm not sure if these are intended for mounting or frame drainage (or something) as there's another set on the lower cross bridge down behind the front derailluer.

The set you linked to seem to get mixed reviews, I'll go digging and see what I can find in a similar vein.

Thanks.