What new road wheels?

rafregt1
rafregt1 Posts: 52
edited July 2013 in Road general
I am looking at upgrading the standard wheels that came on my Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 2013.
The bike came with Fulcrum CPX 4.5 but I cannot find any information about the wheels so I am unaware where they come in the wheel "pecking order" to compare and want to make sure whatever I decide to upgrade to is obviously above what are currently on it.

Can anyone advise me what is a decent wheel set from your experiences to upgrade to and where my current wheels sit compared against others?

I am 72kgs in weight and after an increase in speed and also enjoy the dreaded hill climbs! :oops:

My bike is running 2013 Dura-Ace.

Many thanks..

Comments

• Mavics
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Anything but Mavics.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    good balance there... :lol:

OP what is your budget and what type of riding? Wheels are unlikely to give you an increase in speed, incidentally...
  • rafregt1
    Looking at around £500 ish.....
    Hills and speed in a competitive way!
    Enter the odd sportive and regular individual rides of around 50 mile
  • Grill
    Your wheels are essentially an OEM'd Fulcrum 4.

Your choice is limited due to the need for an 11 speed freehub and to be honest your not going to be getting much (if any) upgrade for 500. Save your money for now and buy something nice when you have 1k+.
  • imposter2.0
    rafregt1 wrote:
    Looking at around £500 ish.....
    Hills and speed in a competitive way!
    Enter the odd sportive and regular individual rides of around 50 mile

Worth spending a bit more on Dura Ace C24s, especially as you already have DA kit. That's my suggestion anyway. Some other people will be along in a minute to recommend hand-builts...
  • Grill
    DA C24's are good wheels, but I could never recommend them based upon them only lasting 7-8k miles. That's alright for many, but for me that's 2 sets a year. That would be the biggest factor for me in going for handbuilt.
  • rafregt1
    All thanks for your advice.

Grill: I may be able to budget 1k (12 mths 0%!) if it is going to open a big new window for me and well worth it?

I also like the look of deep rims?

Any advice on this basis?
  • Grill
    I'd go handbuilt with some wicked hubs (Tune Mig/Mag, Alchemy Orc/Elf) for that money. Or you could get these:
    http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/the-144/CARBON-TUBULAR-50MM-HANDBUILT/Detail
  • I upgraded my S-Works Tarmac SL3 from Ultegra 6700 (with RS80 C24 wheels) to Dura Ace 9000 with C24 wheels (as mentioned, had to get 11 speed compatible freehub).
    RS80 C24 and DA9000 C24 may look similar (carbon laminate alloy rims), but that is all. The DA's ride much faster and feel quicker to get up to speed plus climb way better. They are plenty stiff without shaking bones, plus they look classy without too much "look at me" bling.
    If you are on DA9000, I think these are the ones to go for - they just got 5 stars in this months Cycling Plus wheel review, plus I "only" paid £620 (plus delivery) from Merlin Cycles, so they are not far off your budget.
    Teamed up with Vittoria Ultralite tubes and Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 23mm tyres, they are light too, and I mean noticeably light even compared to RS80's.

Personally, I don't think you can go far wrong and I have not had a Shimano wheel let me down in a good few years. DA9000 are all handbuilt too.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    hope hoops......
  • WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224
    rafregt1 wrote:
    I am looking at upgrading the standard wheels that came on my Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 2013.
    The bike came with Fulcrum CPX 4.5 but I cannot find any information about the wheels so I am unaware where they come in the wheel "pecking order" to compare and want to make sure whatever I decide to upgrade to is obviously above what are currently on it.

Can anyone advise me what is a decent wheel set from your experiences to upgrade to and where my current wheels sit compared against others?

I am 72kgs in weight and after an increase in speed and also enjoy the dreaded hill climbs! :oops:

Many thanks..

Dura-Ace, wowza!! Nice one man. I am in the same boat, looking for new wheels that is (not Dura-Ace). Currently weighing in at a Nario Quintanaesque 62kg I am looking for some replacements for my WILDCAT F3s (which I only recently found out are made by Campagnolo - would explain the Campag skewers!). I have about a grand but would love to spend a lot less if possible. Was looking at the C50 - DAce wheels though. Just upgraded to Ulegra Di2 as well.

Love to smash the hills and speed along with my buddies. Would be grateful for a review with what you end up with...never considered the C24s...
  • imposter2.0
    Grill wrote:
    DA C24's are good wheels, but I could never recommend them based upon them only lasting 7-8k miles.

My own DA C24s have done significantly more miles that than and are still in perfect nick and have never needed attention. Just thought I'd say that, for a bit of perspective, like...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Or to steal a recommendation made by Nap D in another thread.

How about these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=670

Same rims as Reynolds assault and available in 32 and 60 as well.

I ve had Superstar MTB wheels before and found them bullet proof.
  • Grill
    Perhaps you never brake. Shimano, by their own admission, machine the crap out of the rim to shave weight.
  • imposter2.0
    Grill wrote:
    Perhaps you never brake. Shimano, by their own admission, machine the crap out of the rim to shave weight.

I think you may have misunderstood what Shimano describe. The alu is thinner in the areas where it is supplemented by the carbon laminate - the braking surface is not affected by this. Anyway, I live in a hilly area, so I am on the brakes quite a bit. Or maybe I just look after them.. ;)
  • rafregt1
    rafregt1 wrote:

Many thanks..

I think I have decided on either Dura-Ace C24 or Mavic Ksyrium elite?

Any thoughts?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You will fit in well with the masses with either of those wheelsets.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224
    smidsy wrote:

Wow. Cycling isn't pretentious at all....
  • Stu517
    Stu517 Posts: 41
    A set of Fast Forward Carbon Tubulars, you would be flying.....set for sale on the Classifieds Board.... :wink:
  • ravenvrider
    ravenvrider Posts: 198
    rafregt1 wrote:

I think I have decided on either Dura-Ace C24 or Mavic Ksyrium elite?

Any thoughts?

I have C24's on my summer bike and an old pair of Ksyrium elites on my winter bike, i can say (for me) the C24's are much better than the elites, they are significantly lighter, accelerate quicker and climb superbly...i would only consider something like Fulcrum zero's in place of them but they are at least another £100 i noticed the C24's on wiggle for £628.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    WarlKicken wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Wow. Cycling isn't pretentious at all....

If Callaway, Taylor Made or Ping made bike stuff the golfist would be happy :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.