First Road Bike - Specialized Allez Sport 2013 or 2014?

ncavin
ncavin Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

I'm after my first road bike, and after a trip to Evans and much searching on the internet I had decided to go for the Specialized Allez Sport 2013 - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 5#features and Evans have one on order for next week that I can test ride/buy.

However tonight I just saw the 2014 model! http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec052507

After much inspection it looks like it's just a different paint job and £25 more expensive - but being a complete noob and not having ridden a bike for years, am I missing something? Annoyingly I prefer the 2014 colour! Looks very slick. I'm surprised in the shop they didn't mention the 2014 version. There are numerous very good reviews for the 2013 version, but none for 2014 yet as it's so new - so I'm thinking stick with 2013? Any advice is appreciated, although to be fair being so new would I even notice a difference?!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• xtc_special
    xtc_special Posts: 130
    Go for one that feels the best fit, no point in having a great paint job if it is crap to ride.
    Have you thought about a better spec second hand bike?
    Only you can decide.

cheers.
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Spec looks identical apart from the bottom bracket - which I doubt you'd notice.

Go for the paintjob you want. My first bike was a spesh allez (bought in 2005) and I ended up riding it untill last year - and I rode that a hell of a lot, including 1000km in the Pyrenees. Buy the paintjob you don't want so much and you'll live for it for literally years.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    At those prices, buy the one that you prefer the look of. However, you may well find that you can get a good discount on the 2013 bike if you ask, or if you go elsewhere.
    I bought the 2013 Allez in March and only paid £652.50 in my lbs as they gave me a 10% discount for buying in store. It has since done over 4000 miles with no problems.
  • ncavin
    ncavin Posts: 4
    Cheers guys. I called them today and changed my order to the 2014 - just loved the look of it and I doubt it will ride any different to the 2013 version! I've got that and a Pinnacle Dolomite 3 on order to test ride - although I know where my heart lies, even if I am paying £100 extra.

Now any recommendations of extras with my purchase next week? I mean I know I'll need helmet, pump etc, but anything I must get when I get the bike or could order now that I might not have thought about?

Thanks again guys.