tyre width, 2.2 or 2.4

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    So...
    I form my own opinions through second hand experiences.

That sounds like my sex life. :(

:lol: Want me to send you a home movie, lol? :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The OEM-spec wire bead contis are pretty awful, you'll not find it hard to beat them tbh. Proper contis- black chili ones- can be excellent, they last well too so that's good for your purposes.

Not being funny but can I make a suggestion? Get a crappy old rigid mountain bike from gumtree, or the tip, or a cycle recycle place. Fix up, fit cheapo bits, and job-specific tyres. Or if you can stretch to it a cheap hybrid. It'll be better for your commute, and it'll save you money in the fairly short term on bearings, suspension servicing, expensive tyres and drivetrain bits etc, and let you avoid compromising the hemlock for offroad stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    So...
    I form my own opinions through second hand experiences.

That sounds like my sex life. :(

:lol: Want me to send you a home movie, lol? :wink:

Make sure it's Betamax or better still Super 8. He's from Wales you know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't be suck a knob, CD. I'm all about the laserdiscs now, well modern over here.

Damn Kowalski, you're fun. A perfect blend of short fuse, no humour, ignorance, ego, and always opinionated. Like a hand grenade with a broken pin in a bucket of nitroglycerin, it's just too tempting to try and poke you with a stick, or throw rocks and wait for the boom!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't be suck a knob, CD.
    Freudian slip?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Haha, best typo ever!
  • Kowalski675
    Damn Kowalski, you're fun. A perfect blend of short fuse, no humour, ignorance, ego, and always opinionated. Like a hand grenade with a broken pin in a bucket of nitroglycerin, it's just too tempting to try and poke you with a stick, or throw rocks and wait for the boom!

Not in the slightest. It'd take someone a lot better than you to get under my skin. Life's too short for arguing with arrogant, under informed, over opinioted people such as yourself on the internet, I don't give a monkey's what you think of me, lol. I do have a sense of humour - you're just not funny, lol.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If life's too short for arguing, why do you always join in?
    If you don't give a monkey's what I think of you, why do you feel the need to correct me?

See, that's what I'm talking about.
  • pondyyfz
    pondyyfz Posts: 29
    Hi northwind, I do have a Marin b17 built up with deore kit and some fox 130mm for my girlfriend, its a medium but im tall so feels small to me, its hard to ride long distance. If I had another bike the hemi wouldn't get used, I use the bike to go to work and back and a few local areas, have one trail centre here, Thetford, flat and once you ride it over and over it becomes boring, ride it a few times a year maybe.

I have wire bead mk now and I don't have a huge problem with them, they slip abit in the wet. They roll well and wear wise, still look new, just when I get flats the sidewall cracks hence going for the ust version. I have rode these at Thetford, Cannock, penmachno and never had a problem with them, maybe some people don't like them, post it on forums and everyone spreads it...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If you're having problems with the sidewalls on the cheapo MKIIs, try the ProTection version - quite a bit lighter than tubeless, and the sidewalls haven't given me any problems at all in two years.
    Also, the Black chilli rubber is just far, far better.
  • pondyyfz
    pondyyfz Posts: 29
    I was unsure how BC would wear on tarmac and hard packed trails
  • YeehaaMcgee
    BC lasts better, rolls better, and grips better.
  • Kowalski675
    If life's too short for arguing, why do you always join in?
    If you don't give a monkey's what I think of you, why do you feel the need to correct me?

See, that's what I'm talking about.

You're talking shite, as you mostly do, lol. Big fat whatever. :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    pondyyfz wrote:
    maybe some people don't like them, post it on forums and everyone spreads it...

If you get on with them that's cool but they are genuinely poor tyres. Not fast enough for their lack of grip (or, not grippy enough for their amount of speed, if you prefer)

The reason it's relevant is that it's useful for people making recommends to know- if you're happy with the MKs then you will be happy with pretty much anything, grip wise, so we can make better recommendations on the other points. No point adding extra drag with a grippier or wider tyre, frinstance, or spending a fortune.
    Uncompromising extremist